r1ch.net forums
* Home Help Search Login Register
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  Other Projects  |  Topic: ForceBindIP opens both Internet Explorer and Firefox, but they don't function
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: ForceBindIP opens both Internet Explorer and Firefox, but they don't function  (Read 30711 times)
LouieChuckyMerry

« on: April 04, 2009, 03:47:40 am »

Hello, and thanks to anyone who takes the time to help me; I appreciate it.  I've downloaded and installed ForceBindIP, and used it to, seemingly successfully, bind my wireless IP address to Firefox and my dial-up IP address to Internet Explorer.  When I open FF it seems fine, but I can't move beyond my homepage; when I open IE it too seems fine, but not only can't I move beyond my homepage, all the bars (address, task, etc.) are missing as well, so even if I had a viable connection I'd be unable to use it. cry  It's certainly possible that I'm trying to use ForceBindIP incorrectly.  I simply want to bind IE to the dial-up for downloading and FF to the wireless for surfing.  Please, does anyone have any suggestions, or know whether or not this is even possible?  Again, thank you for your time.  Ahhh, Windows XP Home SP3.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 07:22:46 pm by LouieChuckyMerry » Logged
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 08:46:04 pm »

Are you using the -i parameter to ForceBindIP? Some applications need that since they don't enjoy having ForceBindIP injected immediately. It's possible that although you have two connections, the DNS info is shared between them - eg if your wireless has different DNS servers than your dialup. Technically ForceBindIP shouldn't affect this but it depends how the programs do their DNS lookups. This would explain why you can't navigate beyond your homepage.
LouieChuckyMerry

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 10:03:23 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion; I'll try it right now and see if it works. 
LouieChuckyMerry

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 11:25:44 pm »

OK.  I opened my wireless connection and ran

C:\WINDOWS\System32\ForceBindIP.exe -i 192.xxx.xxx.xxx "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"

Firefox was functioning fine.  Then, I opened my dial-up connection and ran

C:\WINDOWS\System32\ForceBindIP.exe -i 115.xxx.xxx.xxx "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

Internet Explorer was functioning fine.  However, when I check--I'm not sure how to find the IP address associated with each individual browser, so I test by trying to download 2 files at the same time from a file sharing site that only allows 1 download at a time per IP address undecided--they both have the dial-up's IP address. huh  Any ideas?  And thanks again for the assistance.

Ahhh, found a site to check IP and it shows that both FF and IE have the same address despite my running the above. angry Closed FF then reopened running the above, but the IP test stills shows that it has the dial-up's IP.  Hmmm.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 11:44:36 pm by LouieChuckyMerry » Logged
QwazyWabbit

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 09:44:16 am »

Do a "route print" at cmd prompt with dialup going. I think you will find Windows has selected the dialup route as the preferred route by looking at the metric. All your traffic will go out that way.
LouieChuckyMerry

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 07:53:08 pm »

Thanks for the thought.  I did as you suggested and, even if I don't understand the entire chart, my dial-up connection is listed as the 'default gateway.'  Is it possible to change that fact, or am I stuck being unable to use ForceBindIP for my nefarious purposes (or at least seemingly nefarious to MS evil)?  Thank you again.
QwazyWabbit

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 10:00:41 pm »

AFAIK forcebindIP only overrides the bound IP address and port of the application, anything going on inside the underlying TCP/IP stack is not controlled. R1ch can give more information about it.

There can be only one default gateway. In the case of Windows, this is always the last established default gateway. In other words if you had two modems and dialed up #1 first, it would override any default gateway and then #2 dialing up would override the first modem. As each connection is established the metric on that network receives the highest priority (lowest metric). The metric is the "cost" of sending a packet through the specified route. The system will always try to send packets through the lowest cost route. If a destination net is available to both routes, the system will always choose the lower metric route.

You can modify the routes by using "route add" to specify specific networks that you want to connect to and the gateway you want that connection to use.  It gets rather tricky but if the network you want to reach is always the same you can add them manually or through a batch file. I dare say you can probably manipulate the routes this way and not have to use forcebindIP at all.

To get help with routing, I suggest doing "route /?" at the cmd prompt. I also recommend against deleting existing routes until you learn what you are doing. A good network sniffer on the machine would help you see the TCP/IP stack at work. Don't use -f or -p switches until you have a solid understanding of the process and can prove the changes worked. You can cripple the stack by deleting all routes and it will take a reconfiguration of your network interface via the network control panel applet. FWIW, I you can add routes via that tool as well, via the TCP/IP Properties pages by adding gateways and metrics in the GUI.

Good luck. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 10:03:24 pm by QwazyWabbit » Logged
LouieChuckyMerry

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 10:37:09 pm »

Thanks for the as simple as possible explanation; I think that I actually understood the gist of it, if not all the specifics.  And, unfortunately, it's quite a bit beyond my ken at this time to attempt any tweaking that deep.  Maybe in the future, though.  Anyway, many thanks for giving of your time and knowledge; I really appreciate it. 
QwazyWabbit

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 10:47:35 pm »

You're welcome. Yes, it's a big picture description. Smiley
ciscokid85

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 01:49:01 pm »

I'm having this exact issue. Currently, I'm using a Win XP workstation with a wired and a wireless connection. My goal is to get Chrome to bind to the wireless interface and have all other applications use the wired connection.

I'm not able to load any web pages in IE/FF/Chrome. I also tried changing the DNS information for the secondary interface to use OpenDNS and this did not help. Any further feedback on this issue would be appreciated.
Pages: [1]
Print
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  Other Projects  |  Topic: ForceBindIP opens both Internet Explorer and Firefox, but they don't function
Jump to: