r1ch.net forums
* Home Help Search Login Register
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  Anticheat  |  Topic: Mac Support
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mac Support  (Read 10613 times)
NONJA
« on: November 01, 2007, 05:22:47 pm »

Congratulations.

Your bot-protection client has done more to ruin online Quake 2 than any bot/hacks possibly could. As a Mac user, I'm confronted more and more frequently by error messages from servers that state that I have to download a program incompatible with my system's OS, hence I'm unable to play in any such server. As your system seems to becoming more common, the list of these servers continues to grow.

Quake 2 has been around for over 10 years now--the mac version for 9--and prior to now it has been capable of supporting cross-platform gameplay as long as I've been playing. Is this something you failed to consider? I've never used a cheat/bot program, yet I and people like me are being banished entirely. Why? Is there no way to impliment an anticheat program that can identify a legitimate Mac OS user? It's disgraceful--and frankly, callous--that you seem to think you now have the authority to dictate who can now play Quake 2 online. I sincerely hope you can rectify this currently-malligned system for the sake of a classic online game, and that--until that happens--server admins realize the problem this poses and refuse to accept this answer to the bot problem.
QwazyWabbit

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 05:43:56 pm »

As Rich has stated several times to similar posts, Anticheat should not be REQUIRED by servers but admins seem determined to turn on the a/c required bit. Blame them for insisting on it.
wision

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 05:45:29 pm »

i'm sure there are still plenty of servers with just optinal anticheat or anticheat turned off..
if you want to blame r1ch  then you are wrong, because it's server admins who enforce the anticheat.. if you want to blame admins then this is wrong place for this.
Snake

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 05:48:04 pm »

As a server admin I don't care if you are a mac os user, that alone would not convince me that you don't cheat. Just saying that a "mac-os detector" tool would be useless. Now, were you a regular player on our servers, one without any blemish on his reputation, and/or some of the trusted players would vouch for you, then you would get an exception. Simple as that.

Also, it is completely useless to blame r1ch for what q2 admins do against his advice. r1ch dictates nothing, server admins decide what they do on their servers. If they don't want mac clients on the servers that they pay for, than you are out of luck. If you want to play on a certain q2 server, and you are legit, then contact the admin. He may very well give you an exception. Or not. Or you could run your own server. *shrug*

Wake

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 06:36:59 pm »

As a Mac OS user, I'm beyond tired of you clowns coming in here crying about matters of which you know little or nothing. You're giving the thoughtful and patient OS X users a bad name. I'm appalled by how many of you people come in here thinking that you can accomplish something by calling R1CH names and bashing his hard work. That's one of many steps obviously missing from your thought process.

That being said: there are plenty of ways to work around your "problem," two of which have already been pointed out in this thread: 1) talking to the admin of a specific server about a possible anticheat exemption, and 2) starting your own server.  Another possibility, albeit a slightly more expensive one (depending on which route you take) is OS X BootCamp. There's also the much more complicated option of working to develop your own solution in OS X (Xcode comes to mind), be it r1q2 or anticheat.

Wow! After a whopping 15 seconds of using our brains, we've come up with 4 possible solutions to your ordeal! Get your tears and blame out of here until you've done some thinking. Throwing a temper tantrum (granted, a reasonably mild one compared to some that we've seen) is no way to get what you want. All it's really good for is a laugh.
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 11:45:19 am »

Last time I saw a Mac one of my friends was showing off this program that spun the desktop around like a cube and on the other side was native Windows XP. I suggest you look into the same program if you wish to use anticheat on forced servers, but don't blame me - anticheat defaults to disabled and I've stated several times that I do not recommend it to be forced on. If the server admins want to go ahead and ignore the warnings about client compatibility, that is their choice and they are the ones responsible for anyone being unable to play as a result.
Xtyfe
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 04:58:42 pm »

it was your choice to use a mac
and it was your choice to forfeit gaming because of that

you have no right to complain at all
noiselab
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 10:57:42 pm »

You guys are all a bunch of dumb fucks. If you are going to make an anticheat plugin for a game that is played on SEVERAL operating systems, than spend some fucking time and make support for those systems, not just fucking windows. "It's your choice to use mac it's this it's that." stop fucking blaming Mac users just because you're able to play the fucking game. i ddin't spend money on a game only to find out some dick wrote a piece of software to stop the Mac user from being able to play the fucking game he just purchased.

And those options some of you douchebags gave to resolve the problems are a bunch of bullshit. If someone wrote this shit for mac os specifically and a regular windows user weren't able to play a game online because there was no Windows version of the plugin you would be mad too. i'm not going to spend 5 hours looking for a server that has no anticheat on it, neither would you. And I am certainly not about to go clicking on ever server out there trying to see if they have the fucking plugin turned on or not.

So do us all a favor either destroy that shit you made or make it support different platform.
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 11:38:20 pm »

Anticheat doesn't stop anyone from playing. If a server admin chooses to restrict their server to only anticheat-compatible clients, that is their prerogative.

5 hours to find servers? A few clicks and I found you over 130 servers you can play on:
http://q2servers.com/?mod=*&g=*&m=*&c=*&ac=1&s=pd&player=
http://q2servers.com/?mod=*&g=*&m=*&c=*&ac=0&s=pd&player=

You'll notice this is more than double the amount of servers that require anticheat.
Lemonzest

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 10:59:30 am »

Mac users, iWhine do they ever give up, they should just go back to "Just Working" and editing there movie's/pictures
Wake

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 05:45:45 pm »

Not all of us are twats, despite the efforts of some of these clowns to make it seem that way. rolleyes
Pages: [1]
Print
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  Anticheat  |  Topic: Mac Support
Jump to: