r1ch.net forums
* Home Help Search Login Register
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: Can't start in ncgl [5510]
Pages: 1 2 [All]
Print
Author Topic: Can't start in ncgl [5510]  (Read 8641 times)
zloy

« on: May 15, 2005, 11:40:41 am »

Well, it has been a while when i last made my update. But once i updated, i have met a little problem. When i turned on my r1q2.exe it made a vid_restart and after that i saw software mode on my pc...
I've tried deleting config.cfg. I even tried to write vid_ref ncgl by hand in console. But r1q2 just didn't want my ncgl to work and always returned to sw mode. The only way to use ncgl was using the menu.
I updated to 5510 now, hoping the problem will go away.
But after making 3-4 vid_restarts it returned to sw mode, 640x480.
Help ;/.
Nuthin' like
vid_ref "r1gl"
vid_ref "ncgl"
i haven't got in my cfg. Everything is pretty clear. And it was working before, wasn't it?
Btw, what about making a list of older versions with download links?
Bossman

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 05:33:33 pm »

go to your config file (with notepad) and add the
set vid_ref "r1ql" or "ncgl"
and what ever else  then do a save as when you are done save it as postinit.cfg  try that out and see if that works. If that works out for you then any changes you want just add them to postinit.cfg

Oh yea and make sure you have
file name "postinit.cfg "
save as type  "all files" not  text documents (*.txt)
encoding ANSI
« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 05:36:33 pm by Bossman » Logged
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 12:37:33 am »

I don't like providing old versions as people will undoubtedly find a problem that I've already fixed in a later version and it makes support much more difficult when I have multiple versions floating around. The way that autoexec.cfg is used has changed in the latest versions. Make sure you have set vid_ref "ncgl" in your autoexec.cfg somewhere. Loading from the console using vid_ref "ncgl" should also work. Does R1GL work OK?
zloy

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 10:49:35 am »

I'm not sattisfied with R1GL. Since i get only 60fps and hight quality textures appear all of a sudden (have somewhere them, too lazy to search for them).
Ok. Here's the deal. I've tried manipulating a bit with files here. I moved autoexec.cfg from my baseq2.
I added set vid_ref "ncgl" to the postinit.cfg. Everything works. But all my other settings seem not to work. I tried replacing the "set vid_ref..." with "exec gl" with my gl settings. Everything was ey-o-key.
But as soon as I execed all my cfg's, quited and made config.cfg read only again, it started doin' those things again (vid_restarting a few times and sw mode).
Bossman

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 03:05:04 pm »

I added set vid_ref "ncgl" to the postinit.cfg. Everything works. But all my other settings seem not to work.).

Just have all your config files that you want running in your postinit.cfg.
zloy

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 12:21:22 am »

what about autoexec.cfg?
must i delete it or what?
I use other clients, which still use autoexec. So i wouldn't like it to be deleted.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 12:23:29 am by zloy » Logged
Bossman

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 06:54:50 am »

I do believe if you use another client it should not use the postinit.cfg file I think it is only for r1q2 so keep the autoexec.cfg should be OK.
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 07:54:44 am »

postinit.cfg is run in the exact same place as other clients have autoexec.cfg. I moved the autoexec.cfg before the client inits to allow a config file to control things like s_initsound, vid_ref, etc which would previously be impossible to set pre-init. If you have problems because of this change then you have something that shouldn't be in your config. I have a quite complex set of configs and no changes were required when switching to this new behaviour.

Keep in mind, you must use "set" in config files. If you have, eg, vid_ref r1gl in autoexec.cfg, it may not be recognised as the video subsystem hasn't been initialised and thus vid_ref isn't a valid cvar. Using "set" is the correct way, you should not have vid_ref ncgl, cl_maxfps 90, etc - you should always have set vid_ref ncgl, set cl_maxfps 90, etc.
zloy

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 02:10:30 pm »

i have a correct cfg...
it worked fine with prev versions of r1q2 and nocheat... now i have everything wrong. I have noone else to thank, but you.
Fuck it, i will change it manually and go on using that bloody r1q2, which must be tweaked for 30mins, before you can play with it... u can totally forget about the interest in gaming while u tweak it. GG
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 03:02:02 pm »

If your config contains "set" for all the cvars you wish to set then it will behave identically to the previous version, except that any settings that require a reinit to take effect no longer require a reinit. Example: s_initsound 2. Take a look at how Q2 generates config.cfg for example, I don't know where people got the idea that it was OK to start putting raw cvars as commands in config files, but as this proves, it's a bad precedent. As I've said many times, R1Q2 is about good design and this may mean making compromises to the "norm" - previously it was impossible to set anything via a config that the client sound/video/input/etc init systems needed, requriing a second init after loading to apply the new settings which is far from optimal.
Digital

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 03:09:04 pm »

Haven't had any cfg-problems with R1Q2. Most times when people got problems they have some random crap in their configs. Doublecheck, no triplecheck your configs...
Player
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 03:42:41 pm »

Haven't had any cfg-problems with R1Q2. Most times when people got problems they have some random crap in their configs. Doublecheck, no triplecheck your configs...
This was the case with me; I had a block or two of bad coding in my cfg. r1ch helped me with the problem, and I didn't act like a childish kid while the problem existed.
bl.00.gollum

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 02:18:11 am »

Won't we have to write "set cvar value" someday in the console to change a variable's value? According to this "good design"? Smiley
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2005, 03:43:09 am »

Once the subsystems are inited then you can use the 'cvar as a command' syntax as usual, so no, I'm not going down that route Smiley.
Bossman

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2005, 08:08:51 am »

what about autoexec.cfg?
must i delete it or what?
I use other clients, which still use autoexec. So i wouldn't like it to be deleted.

Wow that got blown all out didn't it...

That was the question was it not I don't know what else was read into it but as long as you just leave it alone it should work with other clients that you never had a problem with fine. Is this not right people?

zloy leave your autoexec.cfg file there and don't do nothing to edit it at all... When you want to play the way you did always with your other client then it should work fine with your old autoexec.cfg file like you want it too. R1Q2 reads postinit.cfg file only the older clients don't even look for that file so it can be left there too for when you use r1q2 client

Here is another thing that may help you out since you use two clients.
Have 2 config.cfg  one config.r1lk and one config.reg. Keep them in your mod dir. When you are going to use regular clients open your  config.reg in notepad and copy all the text then go to your config.cfg and delete all text and paste all your text that you copied. You don't have to do anything for r1q2 cause the config.cfg will change to settings from postinit.cfg. The reason you copy and paste is so you never lose settings that worked for you so make sure the config.reg is the way you want it for other clients, which should be your old config.cfg if you ever saved it. Hope that helps you out some. Some things just can't be done the way you want it to be done so you need to learn to impervise and make it work your way. Good luck hope you get it working to way you want.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 08:11:41 am by Bossman » Logged
zloy

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2005, 09:25:58 am »

That was the question was it not I don't know what else was read into it but as long as you just leave it alone it should work with other clients that you never had a problem with fine. Is this not right people?
AHHHHHHHHH... is it very hard to understand, that i had the problem even BEFORE I STARTED DELETING? Or you think that i could really come here to ask for help, when i deleted half of the files?!
Have 2 config.cfg  one config.r1lk and one config.reg. Keep them in your mod dir. When you are going to use regular clients open your  config.reg in notepad and copy all the text then go to your config.cfg and delete all text and paste all your text that you copied. You don't have to do anything for r1q2 cause the config.cfg will change to settings from postinit.cfg. The reason you copy and paste is so you never lose settings that worked for you so make sure the config.reg is the way you want it for other clients, which should be your old config.cfg if you ever saved it. Hope that helps you out some. Some things just can't be done the way you want it to be done so you need to learn to impervise and make it work your way. Good luck hope you get it working to way you want
Thanks for trying to think of something, but i can just change the video settings using the menu much faster, than copying/pasting some code or whatever. I already got so mixed up with "brilliant" locs systems which R1CH made up, while trying to make smth really good. (why not just use "cl_locsdir locs" var and an alias for each mod?)

The problem I have is about NCGL mode not setting itself ON, even if i write set vid_ref ncgl manually! r1q2 makes 2-3 vid_restarts, resizing the quake2 window and changing the window size of some win applications.
I had "Read Only" flag set on my config.cfg, because i don't like my settings being changed when i tested some1's configs.

There's still a problem. I had no problems with several others quake2 clients, and all of a sudden, whola, r1q2 is all so special that he doesn't want to work properly with my very wrong-written cfg.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
Print
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: Can't start in ncgl [5510]
Jump to: