r1ch.net forums
* Home Help Search Login Register
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: .override files
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: .override files  (Read 7158 times)
QwazyWabbit

« on: February 14, 2005, 10:27:57 pm »

This sounds like a reinvention of the .ent file scheme used in WOD:Extinction and something we are currently using in the LOX mod. The scheme works like this:

Create an ent file of the same name as the basic map but instead of .bsp, name it .ent and put it in your server's directory tree in the quake2/lox/ent directory. With appropriate server flags set, the server reads the .ent file and spawns the extra entities in the map that corresponds to the ent file of the same name. Using this technique one can place extra powerup items in the map and even add obstructions to the maps. The latter is required in Extinction since there should be only one path through the maps to the opposing team's base.

QW
Weasel

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 11:39:51 pm »

I run a ctf server and have used many maps with the .ent file.  Wonder how close the r1q2 implementation is to that.  Been using the .ent files for a while now.
Nick

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 03:09:11 am »

I have implemented the *.ent file system in my Xatrix+ enhancements - the code is here:

http://www.nick.ukfsn.org/xatrix_plus/

The code was supplied from one of the guys in quakesrc forums (taken from the 'jumpmod' add-on):

http://www.quakesrc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4296

But this is a game side thing, not the engines.

Nick (aka Bill Stokes).
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 07:54:25 am »

Yes, this is similar to .ent files that many mods use but is engine based so it can be used with mods that don't support .ents. Additionally since the maps are 'virtual' in the sense they point to the same .bsp, you can essentially have mulitple .ent files for one map without requiring client downloads.
QwazyWabbit

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 09:12:39 am »

Three good points in favor of this method.

1. It allows old mods to benefit from the added entities without need to update the mods.
2. It doesn't interfere with the old ent file system.
3. It allows multiple overrides to the same map.

Another fine product from the R1ch-forge. Smiley

While we are on the topic of ent files, does anyone have a resource for sharing ent file collections? I have thousands of maps, but only a small number of ent files by comparison.

QW
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 09:16:32 am by QwazyWabbit » Logged
Nick

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 10:00:34 am »

Just extract the entity list from the map, then change it to whatever you want.  If you need the co-ords of where to put something in a map, load it up in quake2, walk around to the location and issue:

viewpos

in the console.  That will return (x, y, z) : direction facing.  These co-ords can then be used in the ent file for your additional entity.

Nick

Weasel

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 11:34:22 am »

With the override file, is there a way to block all entities?  The reason I ask is that I have some maps that were written for one mod (qpong) and they would make great ctf maps but I think there are some entities that are qpong specific that I would want to block out.
Pages: [1]
Print
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: .override files
Jump to: