r1ch.net forums
* Home Help Search Login Register
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: Important note about Linux server binaries!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Important note about Linux server binaries!  (Read 6919 times)
R1CH
Administrator

« on: October 15, 2004, 07:45:44 am »

Due to some annoying incompatibilty issues between different versions of GlibC/GCC, there are now two different versions of r1q2ded,  the "normal" one, called r1q2ded, and one designed for loading old gamei386.so files, called r1q2ded-old. At present I would guess that most people are using r1q2ded with old gamei386.so files as b1258 seems widely deployed and unfortunately that was built with support for old gamei386.so files.

It is recommended you download r1q2ded-old from the R1Q2 page and replace reference in scripts to r1q2ded with r1q2ded-old when upgrading to b1390. Apologies for the switching around but it is necessary to maintain maximum compatibility with old and new mods. Use the following list if you aren't sure which version you should run:

Known mods that require r1q2ded-old:
Jailbreak 2.5, OSP 2.7x, baseq2 DM, Threewave CTF.

Known mods that reqire r1q2ded:
Gloom.
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 12:04:41 pm »

To help clear any confusion that remains:

If you are currently using r1q2ded b1258 for Linux and after updating to the latest version (b1390+)...
  • Mods no longer work? (Won't load, crash when playing)

• You will need r1q2ded-old. Run r1q2ded-old instead of r1q2ded in future.[/list:u]
  • Mods still work?

• No action needed. This is rare to happen though so double check your server is running correctly.[/list:u]
    [/list:u]If you AREN'T using b1258: After updating to b1390+ r1q2ded will remain r1q2ded and r1q2ded-old is a new binary you can use to run old mods.
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 03:27:31 am »

Looks like most people are using b1390 now Smiley.
spliff

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 01:07:50 pm »

*bump* Cheesy

Hi

I help administer a few (linux based) quake2 servers for a gaming network in Australia. We've just begun running an Action Quake 2 server and it was strongly suggested that we run it with r1q2ded primarily for security reasons. What I found though was that I had to use r1q2ded-old to run it as well as OSP (2.76), RA2 and CTF L-Fire and r1q2ded to run the latest version of LOX. This was necassary as you know because trying to run OSP,RA2 etc using r1q2ded resulted in the game crashing as soon as anyone joined.

Now, its all good except for the fact that when using r1q2ded-old to run OSP, we are now unable to change the configs by exec'ing them via rcon - even though it prints out that the config is being exec'd and the server reports to the game browsers that that particular config is loaded (which it isn't). As an experiment, I moved the OSP gamei386.so out of the tourney folder and tried again. What I discovered was the exact same behaviour - so it appears as if r1q2ded-old is ignoring the mod library (maybe). I then moved gamei386.so back under the tourney directory, restarted the server and tried to vote a config. In this instance, the game crashed and the server itself hung for about 10 seconds or so (to the extent that I couldn't ssh in and all the servers were reported as being offline in the game browser) after which it came good again (phew!)
(and yes, I know - I should have tested it at home first Tongue I was lucky this time though Smiley

Any suggestions/ideas to resolve this would be most appreciated

Cheers =]
Nick

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 02:27:34 pm »

Grab the source and build a local binary specific for system - it is pretty harmless.

Nick
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 03:58:36 pm »

If you're execing a config and it's reportedly being exec'ed and the changes are showing up to the server browsers, there's a pretty good chance it's running properly. What makes you believe that the config isn't being loaded properly

To be sure that the tourney .so is really getting loaded, you can move away the baseq2 gamei386.so file while testing. It would be a good idea to monitor the server console output while it is starting up - if there are any problems loading the gamei386.so file it should be quite obvious.

Is it possible some of your configs have a 'map' command in them? If so, change this to gamemap or use sv_allow_map 1 on the server command line. If this doesn't help, then I will need more details such as the config files, command line, and perhaps the .so you are using so I can test it myself.

Hope this helps!
Anonymous
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 09:55:52 pm »

Quote from: Nick
Grab the source and build a local binary specific for system - it is pretty harmless.

Nick

Hi Nick. Thanks for your reply. I would probably recompile it too as per your suggestion but r1q2ded (b1918) isn't segfaulting or doing anything nasty as such, so I'll just stick with this copy for the time being Smiley
Anonymous
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 10:08:49 pm »

Quote from: R1CH
If you're execing a config and it's reportedly being exec'ed and the changes are showing up to the server browsers, there's a pretty good chance it's running properly. What makes you believe that the config isn't being loaded properly

To be sure that the tourney .so is really getting loaded, you can move away the baseq2 gamei386.so file while testing. It would be a good idea to monitor the server console output while it is starting up - if there are any problems loading the gamei386.so file it should be quite obvious.

Is it possible some of your configs have a 'map' command in them? If so, change this to gamemap or use sv_allow_map 1 on the server command line. If this doesn't help, then I will need more details such as the config files, command line, and perhaps the .so you are using so I can test it myself.

Hope this helps!

Hi R1CH. Thanks for the reply. As soon as I read it, I did a Homer Simpson "d'oh!" Tongue - reason being that I recall attemptting to rcon map changes using the 'map' command and the server replied with a message that 'gamemap' should be used instead. Anyway, in short, `+set sv_allow_map 1' did in fact work because the configs do in fact have a `map' command in them. So it's all good now. Cheers Smiley

P.S. I can do a condump of the cvars of course, but is there a list anywhere of the new cvars that are introduced by r1q2ded and what it is that they actually do?
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 10:49:45 pm »

You may wish to check out the top 2 threads in the forum Smiley.
Anonymous
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004, 12:49:03 pm »

D'OH!

Pages: [1]
Print
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: Important note about Linux server binaries!
Jump to: