r1ch.net forums
* Home Help Search Login Register
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: osx port
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: osx port  (Read 3677 times)
slacker
« on: January 25, 2005, 11:00:51 am »

i am aware that an untested/unsupported osx port is available on the web site, but this has been compiled so that the user must have libpng/fink installed, which is another 17mb download. i was wondering if you could recompile the osx port with libpng statically linked in, so people wont have to have fink installed just to use it. fink doesnt come with osx by default..
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 12:54:06 pm »

Hi,
The OSX R1GL port isn't maintained by me as I have absolutely no knowledge of Macs. Dalamar is the guy who built it (and hopefully R1Q2 soon) so I'll see if I can pass this message on to him.
Stormwolf

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 01:54:17 pm »

I spoke to Dalamar a while ago and he gave me a copy of the source, as I wanted to do the same thing you do. Sadly, I no longer have a copy of it. I couldn't get it to compile straight off, and I didn't have the knowlage to debug it.
slacker

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 01:49:59 am »

how can i get in touch with dalamar? id like to obtain a copy of his source and have an (experienced) friend compile it statically for me.

or is his source exactly the same as yours, r1ch? if so could i please obtain a copy of it from you.

edit: ok.. i admit i didnt realise the difference between r1q2 and r1gl before. now that i have actually looked into it, i realised i have no use for r1gl. the original reason i was looking into r1gl for osx is because i want 32-bit texture support for quake2 on osx. i guess i would have to wait for r1q2 for osx to come around Sad or does anyone know of a quake2 osx port that supports 32-bit textures?

edit2: just did some more research. turns out i can use any ordinary quake2.exe client (even the one provided by id software) with the appropriate ref_gl.dll to get 32-bit textures working. i didnt realise this is where the handling code resided. so i guess what im looking for, is r1gl to support 32-bit jpeg textures and have it compiled statically for osx.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 02:44:16 am by slacker » Logged
Dalamar

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 10:30:45 am »

Hi.

Unfortunately, the sources to both R1Q2 and R1GL were lost when the computer they were on died. However, they were both fairly old and I was planning to start from scratch anyway (the way I did them made it very hard to update to the later versions).

But I can't start again until I get a new computer, as I can't install the developer's tools on this computer (it's not mine). I hope to get the new one fairly soon, but you're still looking at probably at least a month. Sad

You'll have to talk to R1CH for JPEG support of course, but I don't know why you'd want it when you have PNG.
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 10:32:55 am »

Due to popular demand, JPEG support has been in the 0.1.5 RC series for several builds Smiley.
Dalamar

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 11:00:45 am »

Well, that solves that. Obviously I haven't been keeping up. ;P

Oh, and I forgot to mention; whenever I get around to re-porting R1GL, I will make sure to statically link libpng.
slacker

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2005, 08:58:30 pm »

im glad that i have been able to get in touch with both of you. yeah it was a while before i figured out what r1q2 did, and what r1gl did. i didnt realise that there wasnt jpeg support in r1gl to begin with. but im glad you've added it in now.

but I don't know why you'd want it when you have PNG.

well after reading r1ch's image formatt usage guide, png is only good for sharp graphics and associated line art. quake2 textures are not sharp, and are probably best described as photos. thus jpeg is the appropriate formatt to use Cheesy see i have learned something.

anyway, the reason i have been asking these questions all of a sudden is because im interested in making a new aq2 standalone client. you can read all of the details here: http://www.aq2zone.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001766
but basically i want to make this client globally compatible - ie: can be used on windows/linux/freebsd/osx. windows/linux and even freebsd are taken care of obviously, but the osx binaries/libraries with 32-bit jpeg texture support is hard to find. infact i think r1gl is my only chance.

im also interested in hacking my own engine for this package, by taking bits and pieces from the ltktbm project. i know some c/java programming, but have never messed with the quake2 source before. infact just looking at it the other day made me realise how insanely complicated it is. i will either have to ask msparks to do the work for me (which is largely unfair) or get some really good help from someone else to show me the way. what are your thoughts?
Pages: [1]
Print
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: osx port
Jump to: