r1ch.net forums
* Home Help Search Login Register
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  Other Projects  |  Topic: ? for r1ch
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: ? for r1ch  (Read 8016 times)
PathagenX

« on: March 16, 2007, 08:16:18 pm »

I'm an aspiring 3d newb and long time Q2 fanatic. I loved bang and r1q2/r1gl are the only client and renderer that I use now. I have a few questions about r1gl.
Once again, I am newb so please forgive ignorance.

I am making a graphics mod pack for quake2 at the moment and when using jpeg images under r1gl, I noticed a significant fps reduction but no loss in antialiasing quality.

Does r1gl prefilter, supersample (http://www.siggraph.org/education/materials/HyperGraph/mapping/r_wolfe/r_wolfe_mapping_9.htm)
, does it create mip maps(http://www.siggraph.org/education/materials/HyperGraph/mapping/r_wolfe/r_wolfe_mapping_10.htm)
 when loading the map or does the artifacty nature of jpegs not require any of the above atall?

Is there a way to optimize the use of jpeg textures?
Is there a way to use wal duplicates of the jpeg images, to allow mipmapping (without coding, which I am still too useless to pretend to be able to do).

Can PNG textures be used (with alpha channel) for sprite textures on walls?

Using jpegs as textures is very resource intensive, when compared to other formats, but their size and high-detail-suited-compression make them the best choice for all of the other reasons. But I still know many friends that are still using lower end machines. The choice of having wal files that match the high detail textures, gives them a better experience, the high detail gives me and my luckier mates a better experience but there is no inbetween. mipping between jpeg and wal is the winner in my mind at the moment but I hope that you have a better, more experienced idea of such.

gl_colored_lightmaps 0 has changed my perspective on ugly AQ2 maps forever. Finally, it is beautiful. But my friend has some uber graphics engine, that displays gl_colored_lights with a much more tasteful effect. Is it possible to reduce the saturation of gl_colored_lights, without reducing the chromatic intensity. I ask because the use of colored lights, when done right, adds emotional depth to maps.. But bright yellow Stroggos cliff faces are not atall attractive.

Can r1gl be told to scale down big PNG HUD graphics to fit the HUD?

Can r1gl do anything to improve the shoddy quake2 bitmapped fonts?

Thankyou,
PathagenX
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 08:49:50 pm »

All textures are mip-mapped regardless of format. JPG is not recommended as a texture format since the psycho visual modeling the algorithm relies on is only designed for 2D plane. TGA or PNG is strongly recommended over JPG for hi resolution textures. The format of the texture is again largely irrelevant, is it converted to raw bytes before being sent to the graphics driver so no particular format is any faster or slower.

Using textures with alpha (TGA, JPG) on brushes should achieve the same results as the .wal transparency color. Alpha transparency between 0 and 1 may or may not work correctly as it is unsupported. Alpha is fully supported for model skins, sprites and hud icons.

Since I'm not really a graphics person, you'll need to give me an algorithm if you want to see chromatic preserving gl_colored_lightmaps support, right now only the saturation is changed.

The next version of R1GL has hud-scaling support for higher resolution hud textures. To improve the Q2 font, you can make a replacement conchars file to define your own characters.
PathagenX

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 12:33:59 am »

Chromatic value is the 'silverscale' overall luminosity of any color value. So, requardless of what color values you are calculating on, rgb, cmy,  YCbCr. (jpeg works on the efficiencies/deficiencies of the human eye with YCbCr.), the Cr value is always the contrast- The chromatic value would be the overall 'brightness' or luminosity of the light. A light of the RGB of '128 0 53' would have the chromatic value of '181' or '60 60 60'.

That is awesome.

I like that r1GL's purpose is not glitz and glamor, but clean source code, efficient functioning and patching of silly/missing features. There are SOME things that are missing that need to be patched, that ere on the eye candy side but are necessary add-ins.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 12:36:03 am by PathagenX » Logged
PathagenX

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 12:39:52 am »

Sorry - I misread. I will see if I can get one of my mates to make a demo algo for saturation modification,
Lemonzest

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 09:12:56 am »

"The next version of R1GL has hud-scaling support for higher resolution hud textures."

Will this enable me to scale the HUD ie x2 and keep the fonts the Normal size?
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 02:06:21 pm »

No.
Lemonzest

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 02:49:09 pm »

just rescale bigger hud grafix to the normal size like in AprQ2 then?
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 06:21:12 pm »

Yes.
Pages: [1]
Print
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  Other Projects  |  Topic: ? for r1ch
Jump to: