r1ch.net forums
* Home Help Search Login Register
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: Please update server binaries
Pages: [1] 2  All
Print
Author Topic: Please update server binaries  (Read 12810 times)
Anonymous
« on: December 05, 2004, 02:22:08 pm »

I'm getting this as the name on my server posted on Kali etc.,  The servers name in the server config is (LOF)Howlin Comp Wod.  This just started happening on Dec 5 after I changed the server name and passworded it for a private function.  Does this have anything to do with r1q2 of which I'm running the latest version....at least the updater says I am.

Thanks,  Andrew
(LOF)Highjinx

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 02:24:48 pm »

That would be my post above......submitted before I joined the forum...doh!!

I keep restarting the server and the name shows as normal....but after 5 minutes or so it changes to "Please update server binaries".
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004, 04:49:18 pm »

You'll want to look at this thread: http://www.r1ch.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=146 - the bug described in that thread is what I am using to change the server name of vulnerable servers. Your server is not running the latest version of r1q2ded/dedicated.exe or it wouldn't keep getting the name changed Smiley. Please update it ASAP as this bug is quite serious.

If you are waiting on someone to get around to updating it and don't want the name to keep changing, let me know the IP and I'll remove it from the "bug servers to upgrade" list Smiley.
(LOF)Highjinx

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004, 07:21:54 pm »

Ok so it is r1q2.....hehehe thought so.   I'm running windows 2000pro on the server and admining it with Gamehost.  Since all the admin stuff for the server is being done remotely I don't start it as a dedicated server....I used to until I got Gamehost.  I'm not sure what file I need to correct this problem.  On your site the r1q2ed seems to be for a linux server....is that so?  Could you post the link to the file that I do need?

Regards,  Andrew

p.s. I have used your updater ....did that yesterday but it is still changing the name.

The server IP is 64.231.38.194
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2004, 07:29:08 pm »

I take it you are using "dedicated.exe" to run your server? If that's the case, the window title should show b1918, the version available via the updater is definitely b1918, I just downloaded it to make sure.

Unzip http://www.r1ch.net/stuff/r1q2/download/R1Q2Updater.zip into your Quake2 dir where dedicated.exe is, make sure the server is not running and then run r1q2updater.exe, it should download the latest version.

The current versions of R1Q2 don't react well with GameHost since it has a different method of displaying the console. The next release has a GameHost compatibility option which should help. It could be that even though you think you have stopped the server through GameHost, it is still running in the background due to the incompatabilities in the current release.

Try the updater - it should definitely update you to b1918. If it gives you any error, please paste it here and I'll try and help. If you're still having problems getting it to work, you can download the latest version of dedicated.exe manually from http://www.r1ch.net/stuff/r1q2/update/dedicated.exe.gz and overwrite your current version.
(LOF)Highjinx

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2004, 07:31:52 pm »

It is running b1918 but I start the server through gamehost using r1q2.exe.....
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2004, 07:36:28 pm »

r1q2.exe is designed for use as a client - it contains both client and server functionality. dedicated.exe is a binary which is best suited for servers as it does not contain any client code and has other optimizations. Regardless of which you are using though, everything on the updater should be b1918.

A status query on 64.231.38.194:27910 (Q2 weapons, 0/40) shows the version running to be "R1Q2 b1621 x86 Nov 11 2004 Win32 RELEASE" so I would double check to make sure you have definitely updated it!
(LOF)Highjinx

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2004, 07:37:44 pm »

I'm going to stop the server and run the update now.......thanks for the help....I'll be back shortly.

Regards,  Andrew
(LOF)Highjinx

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2004, 07:41:01 pm »

The updater is telling me that I'm already  running b1918
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2004, 07:51:32 pm »

Double check to be sure that the EXE you have specified in GameHost is really the r1q2.exe... perhaps you renamed R1Q2 to quake2.exe at some point to get GameHost to recognize it?
magiclamp
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2004, 07:52:57 pm »

My server too got the "update server binary" message, and I updated the binary per your post. I appreciate the proactiveness you are taking. Us sysadmins really like it!

Cheers!
Jason
quake.magiclamp.net ( we run neurotic one week on, one week off, and use leray maps!
(LOF)Highjinx

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2004, 07:55:27 pm »

Nope I have gamehost using r1q2.exe to start the server.....the updater tells me I have 1918 but from the consule in gamehost it say 1621.  I'm going to delete r1q2 from my quake2 server directory and download it from your site and then run the updater....hopefully that will work.
(LOF)Highjinx

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2004, 08:01:24 pm »

Nope that didn't work either....still showing the old version although the updater was a newer version.  I did a search on the server for any other versions of  r1q2 but there where none.
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2004, 08:05:38 pm »

That's really strange. Try deleting quake2.exe if you have it, or any other .exe files until gamehost can no longer start the server Smiley. Then you know which one to replace.
magiclamp
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2004, 08:06:17 pm »

Quote from: (LOF)Highjinx
Nope that didn't work either....still showing the old version although the updater was a newer version.  I did a search on the server for any other versions of  r1q2 but there where none.

I could not get the updater to work either, although I don't think it is the program. i ended up d/l'ing the latest dedicated.exe and loaded that onto the server.

Jason
Pages: [1] 2  All
Print
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: Please update server binaries
Jump to: