r1ch.net forums
* Home Help Search Login Register
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: mouse-jerky online
Pages: [1] 2  All
Print
Author Topic: mouse-jerky online  (Read 7697 times)
Anonymous
« on: March 26, 2005, 01:20:35 am »

I've just installed the r1q2 client and when I enter an online server, the mouse movement seems really "chuggy" or delayed. It doesn't seem to be the server or connection. I think it may be the settings. I'm using WinXP and my settings are: m_directinput "0", m_fixaccel "1".. I tried playing around with the settings and nothing seems to work. The mouse movement is fine when I'm in my own server if that helps. And, I tried alt-tabbing out and returning to the game to see if that helped but it didn't.
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 02:46:14 am »

Are you sure you aren't running at a low FPS? Try cl_drawfps 1 to see your FPS, perhaps play with cl_maxfps, r_maxfps and cl_async (more info in the readme).
lesser!TAKAMARU

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 06:26:09 am »

try using cl_maxfps 99 and r_maxfps 1000, the movement feeling is acceptable, you will adapt. and the mouse jerkiness doesn't apper at my computer with those settings.
Anonymous
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 10:13:09 am »

No, my fps is fine... it's usually over 110. I've tried every possible combination for those settings... I tried using cl_maxfps 99 and r_maxfps 1000.. but the delay is still there.. probably even worse. I highly doubt it's any of the settings.. I think the problem is with the drivers.. I'm going to check out the manufacturer's website to see if there are any latest XP drivers. 
Bossman

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 10:40:54 am »

Well thought you said it worked in your server?? And second your fps is fine but did you check your fps in the server you are trying it in to see if maybe they have a cap on it?
Rambler

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 10:57:07 am »

Hi. Sorry to ressurect this thread, but I get the same issue as the OP. I was having it in the past, so I didn't use r1q2, but now because of anticheat, I was kinda forced to use it.
First, I use m_directinput 0, m_fixaccel 0 - mouse movement is smooth, but delayed - can't play like this. When I set m_directinput to 1 or 2, it's still delayed, but also choppier as when I set m_filter to 0 with directinput disabled.
I was also having problems with FPS - was getting fps from 10 - 100 fps, usually in low 20s after I bought my new gfx card (8800GTS). I solved that issue after few days by turning off gl_vertex_arrays (used to have it set to 1 with my old R9800 card), but the mouse issue is still there.

Any ideas?
phantom

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 02:32:40 pm »

I used to have this problem all the time. The problem is that Quake II and R1Q2 are made to try to take up all of your CPU time, not even leaving enough cycles for Windows to process mouse and key strokes and send them to the game. The solution?
win_priority -2

I have that in my autoexec.cfg. Works like a charm. This also helps:
r_maxfps 40

The game will still try to take up all your CPU cycles, but at least all other processes in Windows will have priority over it (except other low priority programs, they'll be fighting on equal ground, but there's not alot to worry about in that area).
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 02:45:28 pm »

Actually, setting r_maxfps low will cause R1Q2 to take more CPU time. Normally you should run with gl_swapinterval 1, then the time between frames is idle. If you run gl_swapinterval 0, the renderer runs at maximum speed - 100% CPU. If you then limit r_maxfps, R1Q2 enters 100% loop while it waits for the next opportunity to draw a frame, regardless of gl_swapinterval setting.
phantom

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 06:06:28 pm »

Actually, setting r_maxfps low will cause R1Q2 to take more CPU time. Normally you should run with gl_swapinterval 1, then the time between frames is idle. If you run gl_swapinterval 0, the renderer runs at maximum speed - 100% CPU. If you then limit r_maxfps, R1Q2 enters 100% loop while it waits for the next opportunity to draw a frame, regardless of gl_swapinterval setting.

Well, I used to have it just as you said, not touching gl_swapinterval (default seems to be 1) and not touching r_maxfps. 100% CPU usage. I find it works better when I do limit r_maxfps. Max CPU usage either way, but this one way seems more responsive.
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 06:48:31 pm »

You may have vsync forced off in your video driver settings which would make the value of gl_swapinterval irrelevant.
phantom

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 08:49:51 pm »

You may have vsync forced off in your video driver settings which would make the value of gl_swapinterval irrelevant.

Nope, it's set to "Off, unless application specifies"
Rambler

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 05:00:30 pm »

Hm, none of that helps unfortunately. Setting win_priority to -2 does nothing as does playing around with r_maxfps and cl_maxfps. Only when I set gl_swapinterval to 0, then the mouse delay goes away, but the movement is jerky/not fluent/not smooth.

Any ideas now?
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 05:14:02 pm »

Try disabling triple buffering in video driver settings or any other 'buffering' options. Make sure you don't have any stray .DLL files in your Quake II folder, eg dinput.dll or opengl32.dll or any other system DLLs.
Rambler

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 11:49:05 am »

Thanks R1CH, you pointed me in the correct direction. It was caused by forcing mipmap filtering to either bi or trilinear. When I turned that off, it's working fine (even with gl_swapinterval 1), but I still have to use m_directinput 0.
What's the deal with R1Q2 and "buffering" options?
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 01:15:17 pm »

If you force on buffering, then frames are rendered in advance of your input, so your input is delayed by a few frames. This will happen with pretty much any game. I'm not sure why you still can't use directinput though, directinput should provide much nicer mouse movement.
Pages: [1] 2  All
Print
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: mouse-jerky online
Jump to: