r1ch.net forums
* Home Help Search Login Register
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: What is needed to make Q2 user-friendly?
Pages: 1 [2]  All
Print
Author Topic: What is needed to make Q2 user-friendly?  (Read 59304 times)
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 01:08:36 pm »

Better map management.

Ability to find textures and sounds associated with a map.
Ability to fix maps with broken ancillary file trees.
Autodownloading already does this, and HTTP downloads support even more content with filelist support.
QwazyWabbit

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 09:58:05 pm »

I am speaking from a server manager POV. Managing maps is a pain.
Autodownload fails when the original map author put his textures in the wrong folder and r1q2 refuses to download them. An otherwise OK map is textureless for most users.
Discovery of this defect before installing maps on the server would prevent it from being a problem.

Elysium

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 04:32:17 pm »

Hi R1CH,

I just found this thread of yours today after searching if anyone had ever got around to making a simple and easy to use Q2 installer for the average user.

You've pretty much nailed it on the head with explaining what's preventing Quake 2 from attracting new players - I've experienced this myself when I've tried to get some of my gaming friends to try it out, and even with my help they still struggle with getting the game properly configured.

A bare bones Q2 demo + R1Q2 with an installer would be a vast improvement to the current situation. Ideally there would be some configuration settings / optional add-ons (bright skins, alternate hud, hi-res textures, ect) during installation and maybe even a separate game configuration application that could setup config.cfg and autoexec.cfg (for settings that don't save). Even if the resulting install could only play on stock DM servers at least it would get new players in the door (and hooked!).

I guess my question to you is if you are still planning on something along these lines? (or have you already?) Because Quake 2 really needs a simple game installer that can be freely distributed and advertised if we want to continue to grow the player base.
Elysium

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 03:06:13 pm »

Actually, I have the time and the motivation, so I've begun some initial work on creating an installer using the 3.14 Q2 demo + 3.20 update + R1Q2/R1GL.

So far it will install the folder structure, create a program group and desktop icons, provide a custom install option to enable / disable bright skins (might add other add-ons) and pre-configure R1CH's server browser via the registry (it should also install Visual C++ 9.0 CRT if needed). I've also renamed and edited the original demo maps edited default.cfg so that the single player demo is still functional using the 3.20 / R1Q2 client.

My goal will be to have something simple, small and legal to distribute.

I should have something worth releasing soon, I just want to setup some decent default settings / bindings first.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 04:19:46 pm by Elysium » Logged
Elysium

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2011, 09:30:33 pm »

I've finished up what I think is worth sharing now, I went ahead and posted it on the tastyspleen forums.

http://tastyspleen.net/quake/forums/index.php?topic=16745.0
Elysium

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 02:38:50 pm »

Instead of posting all over the forum I'm just going to reference issues here that I feel would help minimize problems that potential new players to Q2 may encounter.

• Add 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 video modes to Q2's video menu (posted here)

• Prevent nonexistent GL renderers from being selected and crashing Q2 in the video menu. This was happening because I didn't have ref_soft.

• Fix 'Couldn't find spawn point.' error on completion of Q2 demo / retail single player game mode. (posted here)

• Allow a mouse sensitivity lower than 2 in Q2's options menu. In my case, simply viewing Q2's menu and exiting will reset my mouse sensitivity from 1.6 back to 2. Players with high DPI mice / low mouse sensitivity are likely to encounter this problem.

• Add weapon bindings to Q2's options > customize controls screen. New users shouldn't be forced to learn console commands or edit .cfg files for this.

• Allow R1Q2 to execute from paths longer than 57 characters. For example, if a user chooses to use my installer to place the game in 'C:\Users\ReallyLongUsername\My Documents\My Games\Quake II Starter' then R1Q2 will fail to load. In general I don't expect this would be common, but with some Windows users with a deep folder structure it's possible. I now understand why this is in place, my bad.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 02:56:11 pm by Elysium » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]  All
Print
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: What is needed to make Q2 user-friendly?
Jump to: