r1ch.net forums
* Home Help Search Login Register
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: q2advance and timers
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Print
Author Topic: q2advance and timers  (Read 27523 times)
CaRn`
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2005, 03:15:03 pm »

From european scene POV q2advance is a cheat. Automated timers are unacceptable.

I would guess so are wallhacks and aimbots that get passed nocheat undetected.  If someone can put something in a pak and play then it obviously isnt a cheat.  I think timers are lame but if you cant stop them then might as well let everyone have them.  Also when did people start caring about what euro's thought.
Digital

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2005, 08:03:36 pm »

Well there's very little point debating over the issue since Euro - US opinions clearly differs greatly. We've seen few comments that pretty much tell how both sides feel about timers/autotimers. Rules in Euro Cups/Leagues have been molded over the years to what they are now so I end my part in this by putting eurorules in a nutshell:

Allowed: Coloring of models/textures, manual timers, editing sounds (although personally I find editing certain sounds like footsteps to be rather questionable, in 1o1's that is, in 4o4's I couldn't care less)

Not allowed: Bots, wallhacks, editing models, some filters (kickbackfilter comes to mind), autotimers.. basically anything automated

Also I would like to point out to everyone reading that I didn't start this "thread". All this timer-chat was part of a R1Q2problem-thread and got cut/pasted to a new thread by someone. I'm not that interested in q2a and autotimers that I would start a new thread about it Smiley Besides, I only know one europlayer that uses q2a.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 05:22:51 am by Digital » Logged
ep
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2005, 09:35:28 pm »

well, from what i've heard from a couple cheat makers perhaps maybe more of you should be using it Shocked
lesser!TAKAMARU

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2005, 04:27:21 am »

maybe not.
ipool

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2005, 07:34:42 am »

Im not interested in using such a highly modified client (not just the automated timers, but the graphic engine itself differs from original quake 2 by far imo).
Perhaps equipping r1q2 with an anticheat .dll could be a nice improvement, together with regular updates of the security dll - it just might prove efficient. Without regular updates, and propper user support any form of anti-cheat cannot be taken seriously, and I would allways prefer "manual" checks of someone's skill/ability.

edit:
Also when did people start caring about what euro's thought.
You forgot niggers and jews.
ep
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2005, 03:46:13 pm »

yeah, i gotta agree ipool, ecluding any group in discussion doesn't do anyone any good.
zloy

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2005, 05:12:41 pm »

ep, have you been thinking about adding a radar? I'd really like to use it too. Why do some people who hear the sounds, must have the opportunity to control the map and i mustn't? Sad They just edit their paks. Thats not fair. Add a radar
ps: ironic
ni-ux
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2005, 09:41:35 pm »

unlike popular eurotrash opinion, using wav timers isn't a 'skill', having automated timers allows people who don't want to modify the game, and cheat by using .wav timers, a chance vs eurotrash/euronewbies and other lamers who use .wav timers.

whining about losing your cheating advantage, is expected.
evilpope

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2005, 03:12:36 am »

Take a vote to influence forthcoming q2a

http://www.q2players.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=226
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2005, 04:58:53 am »

It's not the issue of what types of timer are included in q2a that's the real problem here. As someone on your forum says, if it's about leveling the playfield then with everyone using q2a in a tourney or whatever with agreed rules then it's fine. The problem is, the timers don't suddenly vanish when someone plays using q2a in a FFA server where lots of other clients are also in use. In that respect, q2a gives an unfair advantage over everyone else who is playing with non-q2a clients.

I think the use of timers or not in q2a shouldn't be a decision you or the client has to make - it should be up to the server admin. If it's a match game with some league or tourney or whatever that agrees to use q2a, then the server should indicate that it is ok to use automatic timers and other q2a "features" such as fullbright items and skins. This will prevent people from gaining unfair advantages on public servers where not everyone else is using the same client.
ipool

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2005, 07:06:18 am »

ni-ux I find it amusing that you are pointing towards europe while saying the word "cheat" Wink))
Imo automated timers are an advantage over .wav timers, and its not leveling the playfield, its making even more differences in it. It *would* be leveling if everyone was to use q2a but that is clearly not the case.
Bossman

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2005, 12:41:03 pm »

Cheating is world wide not only in Quake2 but in everything. It is amusing you would think someone would insinuate that it is only happening there while they are working on a anticheat here.

I like that saying q2a is for people to use when they want to play against someone in a fair game. How do you know it is a fair game with timers to you pause and ask them if they have a timer and know what one is? Do you show them how it works give them one or do you LOL when they ask what it is? You can't say a game is fair because you have your timer. Hell I never used them or even know about them but to read all this I can see it is a advantage to certain games.

It is fair if all has same timers the way I understand it, some players just play the game don't want all the hup-la of stuff like that. But then everyone wonders why they don't come back to play.. Do you get the point it is more equal to all players to have it auto. You seem to think that all the players come to win not to play and none are new. Its one thing to come in and try to have fun playing but getting killed every corner and never being able to get weapons ammo or what ever would just make the average new player quit leaving some to eather win and talk trash or bitch about the lucky guy. Yea if you beat one trash talker `person it is luck if he beats you you been owned. I been owned lots of times and also pretty lucky too. And you wonder what is happening to quake2 it is not the person trying to fix it, it is most of us how we act and play in game when new players come to play.

Also there is a lot of meanings for fair but most of you seem to use the one that means: Lawful to hunt or attack: fair game.

And what others are saying is this meaning of it: Consistent with rules, logic, or ethics: a fair tactic.

My personal favorite meaning for this is: Just to all parties; equitable: a compromise that is fair to both factions.

Somethng to think about...
lesser!TAKAMARU

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2005, 05:10:52 pm »

i get lost in your english bossman undecided

ni-ux
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2005, 03:30:21 am »

Europeans have been cheating at q2 for years, with bright skins, .wav timers, and using cheat team clients, ie: xania.

As I said, whining about losing your cheating advantage, is to be expected.

The fact is, because the eurotrash/euronewbies are so lame, timers can't be eliminated because of the windows api/environment.  They would always find a way to cheat.

What evilpope has done, is accepted that there will always be a (fucking absolutely pathetic) eurotrash/euronewbie individual out there, that will be able to use timers despite any anti-cheat, and he has made it part of q2a to level the playing field.

You can make the same argument supposedly talking about how the same could apply for bots and wall-hack, but the fact is, it would have to, if the eurotrash/euronewbie community used wallhacking and aim-botting as much as they use other cheats.  (Bright skins, .wav timers/any timers).

So the moral of the story?

If you're a fucking pathetic piece of shit euro idiot, then shut the fuck up, your opinion doesn't mean shit in any game, let alone q2.
ni-ux
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2005, 03:32:24 am »

My response to you is that q2a is the standard q2 client.

Nocheat is deprecated, r1q2 is only good as a server, and xania and other clients are euronewbie/eurotrash cheat clients.

Use q2a, and stfu your pathetic eurotrash whining.

Enough said.

#     Reply #25 on: Yesterday at 08:06:18 AM    Reply with quote
ni-ux I find it amusing that you are pointing towards europe while saying the word "cheat" Wink))
Imo automated timers are an advantage over .wav timers, and its not leveling the playfield, its making even more differences in it. It *would* be leveling if everyone was to use q2a but that is clearly not the case.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Print
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: q2advance and timers
Jump to: