r1ch.net forums
* Home Help Search Login Register
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: HOWTO: Report a crash so I can actually fix it
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: HOWTO: Report a crash so I can actually fix it  (Read 3150 times)
R1CH
Administrator

« on: September 20, 2004, 02:21:44 pm »

Please don't just post "it crashed with a message saying it has to be closed" and similar threads. These will not help me diagnose any problems whatsoever. Instead try these steps:

If you are not using the latest version of R1Q2, use the auto updater to fetch it and see if the problem is already fixed.

If you are using Windows 2000 / XP, Start, Run:
eventvwr.msc
Goto the Application Event Log and find the details of the R1Q2 crash. It should look something like this:
Faulting application r1q2.exe, version 1.0.0.1, faulting module r1q2.exe, version 1.0.0.1, fault address 0x000d74de.
Look carefully at the "faulting module". If it is not r1q2.exe then the problem is something else on your system and I cannot help you with that.

If the module is r1q2.exe then copy and paste the whole application event log message into a new thread. Include your R1Q2 build version (eg b986) and Windows version. Please also try and figure out how to reproduce the crash and list the steps to reproduce it. Thanks!

For Windows 9x users, follow this series of screenshots to generate an ERROR.TXT file I can use:
http://r-1.ch/watson/
« Last Edit: February 22, 2005, 06:25:06 am by R1CH » Logged
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 01:38:14 am »

Reporting a crash on Windows 2k/XP/2k3:

Start, run, drwtsn32 -i

You should get confirmation that Dr. Watson has been made the default debugger.

Run R1Q2 as normal. When it crashes, a dialog stating "R1Q2.exe has generated errors..." will appear. Wait for it to finish saving the log file, then click OK.

Look in the folder: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson for a log file. Upload it somewhere (or paste the contents into a forum post if it's not too long) and make a new thread, dont' forget to include your R1Q2 version, Windows version and other applicable information. If necessary, I may ask for the C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\user.dmp file - please compress it using 7zip or zip before sending it. Note that sometimes Dr Watson will save logs under the "All Users" username.
Pages: [1]
Print
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: HOWTO: Report a crash so I can actually fix it
Jump to: