r1ch.net forums
* Home Help Search Login Register
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: Source access/PG Community access
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Source access/PG Community access  (Read 3111 times)
froggyquim

« on: December 21, 2004, 08:04:48 am »

What type of source revision software (if any) do you use?

Have you ever considered posting your r1q2/r1gl source via a subversion or other CVS type of solution? (I guess there is sourceforge too....)

Same for planetgloom community.

It would be cool if there was a method that an already submitted/approved art data could be updated by the original author. If a new version is submited the review/confirmation process would remain unchanged.

But if I wanted to edit or add a couple of new skins to a currently approved pak now I either have to resubmit the whole thing or just submit the added odds and ends as a separate file...

Thanx

fq
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 08:57:12 am »

I use a private cvs for R1Q2. It contains project files as well as my build / auto upload / signing scripts etc so I can quickly pull everything from cvs if needed and start working on R1Q2 elsewhere. I've thought of setting up public anonymous cvs but right now the only way that works is if I have two repositories and keep both in sync, something I really don't want to do. Subversion looks nice and all, but without an easy to use server and client like WinCVS for me to use, I don't plan on using it any time soon.

PGCF is all a bunch of custom coded CGI perl scripts. It would certainly be possible to update existing content if I allowed it Smiley. Right now though the scripts are going on almost 4 years without me touching them, so it would take me a while to figure out how it all works again.
froggyquim

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 12:38:37 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply.

There are nice GPLed subversion clients that integrate with the windows explorer here:
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/

I didn't find it hard to set up a subversion server, beyond some directory ownership/permissions stuff....bout 3/4 day with about half of that time installing/configuring apache2. If you use apache as the distribution method then you can control access (read only/rw etc...) to the db with its passwd access functionality and folks can grab code via webpage access.

Not to be a subversion shill or anything. wink
Pages: [1]
Print
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: Source access/PG Community access
Jump to: