r1ch.net forums
* Home Help Search Login Register
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  Bitchbot  |  Topic: I Need help creating a BOT that announces everytime an upload has been made
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I Need help creating a BOT that announces everytime an upload has been made  (Read 9410 times)
BOT
« on: November 04, 2009, 07:39:32 am »

Can someone please help me create a BOT that announces on a particular channel everytime an upload has been made onto the site and also to display user statistics of a particular tracker.

It will be greatly appreciated if someone can actually help me out with this issue.

Thanks alot.
QwazyWabbit

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 09:38:31 am »

This could be done on the server in the back end. If it's HTTP upload it might be done in a script perhaps as a mod to the upload script. If it's FTP upload it would have to be done in the FTP service or there would have to be a script monitoring the upload folder for changes. A client side script might periodically check the folder for changes and emit a message when it does. It would have to log in to the server and do the check, probably as an FTP client.

The problem with server-side scripts is that your web service provider would probably block or disallow IRC connections. IRC bots are usually indications of malicious activity and your service provider would probably become alarmed at that kind of activity on his server. Email notification is probably more typical and your provider would be more likely to allow it as long as it didn't send email spam.

Client-side, you would need a loop that periodically checks your site for new files, when one appeared it would dispatch a message. Your IRC program is probably capable of handling this kind of task.

Not sure about trackers. This would take some HTML knowledge and ability to connect to the tracker and get the stats dump from it. I recommend coding these as two different bots.

Sounds like a great educational experience, you'll get to learn to code IRC client scripts and learn some HTML. I suggest breaking out the manual on your IRC client and learning it's scripting language.
BOT
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 01:21:22 pm »

Yes mate i love to experience it all but the prob is i have no idea where to start. Wondering if you guys can actually help me out.....i mean what software to use, how to FTP it and the script to make it announce. All that?Huh

would be greatly appreciated if you guys can actually help me through this entire process....
Pages: [1]
Print
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  Bitchbot  |  Topic: I Need help creating a BOT that announces everytime an upload has been made
Jump to: