r1ch.net forums
* Home Help Search Login Register
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: What is most annoying about first time use of R1Q2?
Poll
Question: What is most annoying about first time use of R1Q2?
Mouse sensitivity issues - 3 (16.7%)
Asynchronous FPS (physics / cl_async) - 8 (44.4%)
PAK file loading order - 1 (5.6%)
Deferred models (stutter on map load) - 1 (5.6%)
Other (please post!) - 5 (27.8%)
Total Voters: 18

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What is most annoying about first time use of R1Q2?  (Read 4591 times)
R1CH
Administrator

« on: January 24, 2007, 04:17:17 am »

In light of trying to make easier for new players to adjust to R1Q2, the latest builds already default several things back to 3.20 defaults (cl_original_dlights, cl_cmdcomplete). What else do you find annoying as a new player, or what else do you see people complaining about with R1Q2? I realise a lot of people hate the asynchronous FPS (cl_async) but it really does help to reduce the load on the server as well as saving a lot of bandwidth, so I'd prefer to keep it enabled as a default. I hope to add another cl_async alternative to protocol 35 in the form of a better maxpackets system (similar to Q2Pro's protocol 36) so that while physics will remain intact (and so will the load on the server), bandwidth usage will be reduced somewhat.

If the option which annoys you the most isn't listed, please post so I can add it, these are just the ones off the top of my head that new players have issues with.
wision

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 07:41:03 am »

i say asynchronous FPS but i found out that it's not that bad at all.. but default value for cl_maxfps is really too low.. i understand that it helps to reduce load on the server, but you just can't jump with low cl_maxfps.. so.. i propose to set 0 as default value for cl_async or set 90 (or more) as default value for cl_maxfps
shovel

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 09:33:44 am »

m_directinput 1 and cl_async 0
TgT

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 05:38:15 am »

Average player(nocheat,apr) not knowing any commands just trying the client...

*with FPS below 100      (cl_maxfps 30, sv_strafejump_hack 0)
   -gets higher ping (wiiiiiiii like that right?)
*with FPS above 100      (cl_maxfps 30, sv_strafejump_hack 0)
   -gets big difference in ping, almost 20ms at own server, cool
   -cant strafe normal on own/public servers
   -mouse sensitivity changed
*witf FPS above 100       (cl_maxfps 120, sv_strafejump_hack 1)
   -gets around 4ms at own server
   -can strafe normal, good feeling
   -can jump over crates and stuff like with nocheat,apr

That much about default settings...  angry
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 05:52:00 am »

Well, ping is highly dependent on packet rate, which with a low cl_maxfps will be low. However since R1Q2 sends a packet immediately on an important input event (eg firing weapon), the actual latency between the button press and the server receiving the message will be as low as physically possible. Really, ping in Q2 is very approximated, hence the addition of the "lag" command.

Again, I'd really like to avoid having a high packet rate by default if possible. But maybe I should default sv_strafejump_hack 1 for servers since I don't think many admins take the time to read all the possible options and leave it disabled.
Bossman

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 01:53:08 pm »

I use a old mod of expert ctf and  strafe jumping with a cl_maxfps 60 It has never cause any of them strafe jumpers in there any problems. Matter of fact lots of the other ones that can't do it call it a cheat. The mods you use just don't suport strafe jumping the way Expert does, the first version of Expert didn't suport it and would have same problems as you have now. I guess thats why you need all that fps to do it.. Maybe fixing the mods to use strafe so you don't need to raise the fps would be better. Just a thought.
[BTF]adam
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 09:23:46 am »

imo, the most annoying thing is other - if (like my clanmate rogal) you must use r1q2 due to forced servers w/ anticheat now for eq2l, being a newcomer to r1q2 and using nocheat before, because r1q2 makes locations $$loc_here instead of the normal $loc_here, he must re-do all teambinds and crap, so that is pretty annoying, why is it two dollar signs? :]
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 09:34:56 am »

It's two dollar signs since all meta-variables (dynamic cvars) are like that. It just provides an easy way in the code to easily distinguish them without having to special case all the cvar subsystem (hacky!). Apparently you can do set loc_here "$$loc_here in your config and then use $loc_here in your binds and it works, but I didn't design or test it for usage like that Smiley.
stan0x

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 06:03:14 pm »

triggers.

i hoope they get suported soon.
mars

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 11:11:01 am »

Hi
I would hope that R1CH never wastes his time adding triggers for the obvious reasons.
My request though I know it is a long shot is anticheat support for Linux. Then anticheat servers would then be no longer restricted to Windows clients only.
Thanks
mars
stan0x

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 05:05:00 pm »

Hi
I would hope that R1CH never wastes his time adding triggers for the obvious reasons.
My request though I know it is a long shot is anticheat support for Linux. Then anticheat servers would then be no longer restricted to Windows clients only.
Thanks
mars

hehe i think he will add the triggers soon. YAY
The_Gun_Man

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 04:08:24 pm »

Continuous server crashing running the LOX mod. Crashes happen when there are atleast 2 players in the game firing weapons at the same time. Also when the F5 and F6 buttons are pressed simotaniously the game will crash leaving you still in the game.
Bossman

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 06:58:08 pm »

Other:
Well this is annoying as a old player...

How about instead of using gl_hudscale for typing/seeing messages have a font size so when someone types/reads something long it won't run off screen.
  For instance if you set gl_hudscale 1 and use gl_mode 3 then type something long or someone else does  it runs off screen and you never see it all even if you bring down console. If it were font "sizes" I think it would work right and continue on next line. Or something that would let you see everthing typed with larger fonts and at the least gl_mode 3
   If its a mod thing then well nm...
QwazyWabbit

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2007, 03:26:41 pm »

Continuous server crashing running the LOX mod. Crashes happen when there are atleast 2 players in the game firing weapons at the same time. Also when the F5 and F6 buttons are pressed simotaniously the game will crash leaving you still in the game.

I don't undestand this continuous crashing post. LOX on Windows and Linux is stable on r1q2 and has been known to run for 14+ days. LOX plays fine with as many as 20 to 25 players so 2 should not be a problem. r1q2 by default (or is it q2admin?) also restricts the number of players from the same IP address so if you are connecting multiple players from your same box you can have problems there before you even start shooting.

What is bound to your F5 and F6 keys?

Your LOX server has some strange keys in server vars, "a_ver" for instance, why? What overlays are you using besides q2admin? You are also missing many of the default LOX cvars which makes me suspect you are not running it as a dedicated server. You should run r1ch's dedicated.exe as a server for all your mods and connect to them with r1q2.exe client. Don't run listen servers under Windows on the same machine because background performance degrades the servers and you end up with server lag.
Pages: [1]
Print
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: What is most annoying about first time use of R1Q2?
Jump to: