r1ch.net forums
* Home Help Search Login Register
r1ch.net  |  General  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Gloom Source Compile Questions
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gloom Source Compile Questions  (Read 10824 times)
Some Guy
« on: June 27, 2010, 02:23:27 am »

I’ve been around computers since like 1978 and have taken classes in Basic, Fortran, Pascal, C (all command line), C++ (MSVS6), and Java (NetBeans). I’ve fiddled with UNIX, Apple II, Sinclair 5000 (my friend had one, it sucked), Commodore 64/128, DOS, Windows 3.1, 95, 98, NT, XP, Macintosh, and Linux systems. So in some ways I have a broad understanding of computer stuff, and am also (very) rusty and sometimes lacking in some basic (beginner) info.

Anyway I was trying to ‘tweak’ the Gloom Source to make it a little more like it was in the days of OneCall for a classic gaming server, but with all the debugging, optimization, and robustness  that you added during your 7 year tenure as the primary Gloom coder.

I’m having a really hard time getting the Source to compile properly. I’m using MinGW-GCC and it seems to compile ok with the makefile that came with the Source. Although I did have to change an inline assembly break call (_asm int 3 to asm(int3) ) and remove the gzip stuff from the makefile. It looks ok when you start (can move around, gloom start menu, sounds, entities, ecetera) but as soon as you spawn it locks up, or sometimes says something about ‘more than 1000 calls in 1 frame’ before crashing. So it’s obvious that MinGW-GCC is choking the compile. Also the dll size is about 50% bigger than normal (1.1 MB), but that could be from an optimization/debug flag in the makefile that mingw32-make/gcc is ignoring (they use some different flags than other make/gcc distros, (like no –fpic) )

So I was just wondering what system, compiler, environment, and possibly IDE you used to compile the Gloom Source. Tachikoma said he used a text editor and ‘gcc’/gdb (no specifics), and Grim said he used MS Visual Studio 6 and both of those dll’s seem to be stable. I was thinking about running MinGW from an MSYS command line (not a lot of hope for that), or biting the bullet and going with Cygwin/GCC. Or if I absolutely must, running GCC on a Knoppix Linux or Ubuntu installed on an old laptop, or ‘getting’ MSVS6.

I don’t really need an IDE (at least not now), I just want to change a few values, and enable/disable some of the code blocks encased in pre-processor conditionals (like Guard armour near eggs, or Mech missiles).

-Any suggestions would be appreciated
--Also, thanks for all your work on Gloom! Wink

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 02:54:56 am »

Use Microsoft Visual Studio or GCC to build it, other compilers are untested.

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 10:23:28 pm »

Hey, I noticed that planet gloom was down along with all it's files. Could someone please post the old gloom source code?

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 10:27:23 pm by ruiner » Logged
Pages: [1]
r1ch.net  |  General  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Gloom Source Compile Questions
Jump to: