r1ch.net forums
* Home Help Search Login Register
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: cl_maxfps and reported ping
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: cl_maxfps and reported ping  (Read 5975 times)
thong
« on: January 15, 2005, 06:05:47 am »

Hi, I noticed that with cl_maxfps set at 30 my ping was about 45, increasing this to about 80 shows my normal ping which is about 30.
I also noticed that cl_maxfps 10 increases ping to about 100.

Is the above what you would expect, and what setting of cl_maxfps do you recommend.

Also is there a command to show current achieved r_maxfps  on screen.

I think seperating the packets and local fps is a stroke of genius. This is the best/smoothest exe I have ever used.
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 06:27:50 am »

Calculating ping in Q2 is a tricky process as you are noticing. The more packets you send to the server, the faster it "notices" that you are acknowledging one of the older ones, thus reports your ping lower. Even though with cl_maxfps 30 your ping may be reported higher on the server, due to R1Q2 sending a packet immediately on important events, your ping will be just the same as if you were using a very high cl_maxfps.

R1Q2 server tries to help with ping calculations by providing 2 methods - the normal Q2 calculation and a new one to R1Q2 that just measures the best time on one packet and this is much less influenced by cl_maxfps. However both have their own problems so it's up to the server admin to choose which to use. Personally I run the new method on my servers since it is generally more accurate.

cl_drawfps 1 or 2 will show the current FPS on screen, updated every second or every frame respectively.
thong
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 06:46:17 am »

Understood, thanks for that, also can I ask is there any advantage/disadvantage to maxing out r_maxfps  with a setting of 1000 for example.
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 06:48:05 am »

None at all, which is why it's the default Smiley. Just don't set cl_async 0 with such a high value or your connection and the server will hate you for eternity.
Anonymous
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 05:42:45 am »

Can you help me with 2 more points;

My 7 fps bind no longer works to get me into the rail room on ctf1.

Map lfctf4 has some ladders which you would normally zoom up, now climbing is very slow and jerky.  

I have tried your latest program and settings for async and smoothsteps for both problems but nothing seems to help.
thong
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 04:42:23 am »

^ thong
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 04:47:13 am »

Maybe because you weren't supposed to be able to get in there...

R1Q2 caps cl_maxfps and r_maxfps at a minimum of 10 to prevent problems such as going over the max move msec in a move and being able to crash yourself when setting cl_maxfps 0. I don't have lfctf but I'll try and find this map to test.
Digital

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 05:45:52 am »

Quote from: R1CH
Maybe because you weren't supposed to be able to get in there...

R1Q2 caps cl_maxfps and r_maxfps at a minimum of 10 to prevent problems such as going over the max move msec in a move and being able to crash yourself when setting cl_maxfps 0. I don't have lfctf but I'll try and find this map to test.

cl_maxfps 7 is commonly used by ~all Q2CTF players in ctf1 to get in/out the railroom. If you won't lower the mincap to 7 I'm pretty sure that majority of CTF-players will boikot R1Q2 as ctf1 is very popular map and maxfps 7 enter/exit has become part of the map over the years...
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 05:51:08 am »

Whether you like it or not, it's abusing a physics exploit for an advantage. Maybe I'll come up with a server-side map editing framework so admins can choose whether to "fix" the map Smiley. I did pick 10 fps as a minimum cap out of the air though, didn't realise people used it to essentially cheat. Guess I'll lower it to 5 to keep everyone happy...
thong
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 10:43:07 am »

Thanks for looking into those two points Rich,  ctf1 and lfctf4 are both maps that will be used in the upcoming cb ctf cup.  
 To the ctf community using 7 fps is part of the game and in no way regarded as a cheat.
Marbug

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2005, 01:58:57 pm »

I'll post this one here for not making so much topics :p
But isn't it posible to fix the cl_maxfps? because I saw that some servers convert the cl_maxfps automatly to 120 because it says maxfps is captured to 120 or something like that, isn't it possible to fix it that it can stay 30 if you set this in your cfg? (120 maxfps is too much upload Sad ) otherwise I think I need to put a bind (bind MOUSE1  "+attack;cl_maxfps 30") or something,and I don't want to do sutch things Ind with this I can flood the server rolleyescheesy
Bossman

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2005, 09:40:51 am »

Well if using the 7fps to get in and out of a window that was not meant to be done that way by any means is what you are talking about then it is considered a cheat... If it were not then you would be able to do it from day one and not use a modifacitation

bind  "key" "+slowfps"
alias +slowfps "+movedown;wait;+hook;set cl_maxtps 5"
alias -slowfps "-movedown;wait;-hook;set cl_maxtps 35"

to get in and out of window....There is the normal way in and out of room so if you are being chased by someone that don't have this advantage and you go right through window then he/she is stuck there.... So how is it fair and not considered a cheat? I am sure the guy standing by that window thinks you are cheating....I know some get the point.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 09:53:54 am by Bossman » Logged
GhettoKID

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2005, 05:08:07 am »

hmm, i use b4644 i guess this is last one, and have no problems with cl_maxfps 7 in q2ctf1 if you considered that as cheat then you must know you can get into windows with cl_maxfps 100 from respawn place, maybe you are misled because cl_maxfps and r_maxfps is separated
Bossman

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2005, 07:28:01 pm »

Well I am awear of that but are you awear that you can go back in window Whit that script??? And you can't with  cl_maxfps over 9 so have you tried to go back in window with normal 100 fps?? Can't do it. But server admins can have it set to min and max that is how to stop them from going back in .
  Also one more point if you can get out window with 100 fps like we both know then why is the beef about not being able to. Its all about getting back in window not out. That is where you need lower fps. If everyone can do it is is normal game. But when a select few have a advantage of something what then is it? But it is all up to Admin to fix it anyway.
Pages: [1]
Print
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: cl_maxfps and reported ping
Jump to: