r1ch.net forums
* Home Help Search Login Register
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: Modified Clients
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Modified Clients  (Read 5286 times)
fanny

« on: February 12, 2005, 09:02:49 am »

Since we started using your modified q2admin we get several clients kicked with the following message:
so and so is using a modified client.
so and so was kicked
so and so disconnected

Some of these clients we know are stock 3.20 clients.
We are running a stock vanilla server with no other mods.
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 10:08:59 am »

Try setting msec_kick_on_bad 0 or increase msec_max to 6000000 or something crazy, I think there is some buggy code that tries to detect speedbots.
XyMoX

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 07:12:36 pm »

Interesting.

After a couple of weeks having a r1q2 server up I decided to ditch the nocheat client in favor of r1q2. Upon connecting to my dedicated r1q2 server I get kicked after about 5 seconds and the log says I was using a modified client.  shocked

I decided to test this out on my local PC and sure enough, even after changing the settings above, I got kicked. I then bypassed q2admin altogether and didn't get kicked.

It has to be something inthe q2admin settings. I will try and troubleshoot, or maybe somebody has figured this one out?

By the way, i don't get kicked connecting to servers that are not r1q2 enabled and/or have the newest q2admin 'patch'.
XyMoX

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 07:15:33 pm »

Ooops

I take it back.

I just got kicked for using a modified client on a 1.326d server using NCserver linux.

Guess its back to nocheat till this is fixed.
 undecided
meetra

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 07:22:37 pm »

same problem here, q2admin 1.17.43 + ncserver 0.3 (pending change to r1q2ded-old).

changed the "msec_kick_on_bad" = 0 and still kicks

any solutions yet?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 07:43:41 pm by meetra » Logged
XyMoX

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 07:48:20 pm »

Well I found a 'solution'?

If you take a look at the q2admin.txt,

;Only use these if "nc_check" is "Yes"
;private_command2 "error \"Download NoCheat from: http://www.bryceinc.com\""
;inverted_command1 "cl_highlight" ;This checks to see if a client DOESN'T have a command, hence the 'inverted'

I had the last two lines enabled (without the semicolons) yet I had nc_check at 0

Maybe this can shed the light on the situation.
As long as a server operator has failed to follow the instruction
Only use these if "nc_check" is "Yes"
Then r1q2 clients will get booted of those servers.
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 08:00:06 pm »

You should really consider ditching Q2Admin if possible, as you see some things like this modified client check don't work very well at all. I only made the 'fixed' version as a temporary thing for admins to use who couldn't immediately switch away from Q2Admin or who weren't using R1Q2 server. A lot of servers use the nice defaults you see in the q2admin.txt, so simply add to your config 'set cl_highlight 1' to make that check useless Smiley.
XyMoX

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005, 08:12:11 pm »

That is taken in consideation...

In the meantime how are the r1q2 clients supposed to play on the many servers with q2admin still installed?

I tried putting the cl_highlight command in my cfg, but it only took away one of the two "so and so is using a modified client message'", and still am getting kicked.

Is there such a 'band-aid' until either the server admins rid of q2admin, or at the very least fix their q2admin.txt file (seems to work)?
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2005, 08:15:38 pm »

If the server is attempting to force NoCheat there is not much you can do. However the majority of all other Q2Admin enabled servers should be fine - very old versions of R1Q2 used to get kicked due to how the userinfo was handled but that has since changed. I've been able to play on many Q2Admin enabled servers with b4xxx. Is there a specific server you are having problems with?
meetra

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2005, 08:26:39 pm »

ok, i think i've got it with ncserver 0.3 and q2admin 1.17.43.

check_client "0"
msec_kick_on_bad "5"
;inverted_*
;private_*
;version_check

and no more kicks for r1q2. Cheesy

PS: maybe q2admin doesn't check for check_client==0 and does the commands anyway?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 08:30:39 pm by meetra » Logged
XyMoX

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2005, 08:36:42 pm »

R1ch,

Basically any q2admin server (Action Quake) in the US, I get booted regardless if its r1q2 server or ncserver, unless I use nocheat. Maybe some 'easy' hack to fool those q2admin servers that r1q2 is nocheat?  tongue

Otherwise, until the server admins edit/delete their cfg's...
fanny

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2005, 06:22:48 pm »

What do I give away by ditching q2admin? While using r1q2ded
XyMoX

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2005, 07:02:00 pm »

Personally,

I don't think that ditching q2admin completely is absolutely neccessary.
There are many many features that q2admin has such as mapvoting, banning, lrcon etc. that either r1q2 has implemented or are mod specific (i.e. AQ ETE or AQ TNG). But q2admin does have some bot and speedhack protection, although I cannot verify how well it is, as I am not knowledgable enough in that subject, nor will I ever install any cheat just to see if it works.

What does need to be rid of in q2admin are the latest nocheat checks as stated earlier. By disengaging those commands you will allow anyone who doesnt have nocheat as a client connect to your server, since nocheat as the latest version exists, sees the r1q2 client as a hack (bad ref.dll) anyway.

The few features of nocheat I will really miss would be the footstep sound and skin verfications (would have been nice for a silencer sound check too). I did like the chathud and the little r_wave water thingy, but those are trivial.

The future is r1q2. For Action Quakers the future is TNG.
NoCheat is dead. AQ ETE is dead.
q2admin is dying but still worth to have some extra protection without nocheat settings (unless somebody can elaborate and say otherwise).

Let's move forward!
 grin grin grin
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 07:12:26 pm by XyMoX » Logged
Bossman

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2005, 08:32:26 am »

Q2admin runs good with me. But do have some questions on the new one 1.17.43 is there something in there that triggers the force of q2ace? if I use the q2admin.txt with the 1.326d dll it kicks saying you need q2ace to play in server.
Then the other thing is  if I have do_franck_check "Yes" with the 1.17.43 dll  then at map change everyone gets kicked blackholed for the thing. But I can have it on with 1.326d. Oh yea one last thing there was a player in server with q2ace I have the sv_deny_q2ace 1 I thought it is not suposed to let them in. Thanks. Oh yea before you ask the force of q2ac, nocheat or anything is not on.
Pages: [1]
Print
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: Modified Clients
Jump to: