r1ch.net forums
* Home Help Search Login Register
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: Q2 Server Doesn't Showup in Master List
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Q2 Server Doesn't Showup in Master List  (Read 5930 times)
GDHarvey

« on: April 27, 2006, 06:15:39 pm »

Background Info:

1. I use kali and http://www.gameaholic.com/servers/quake2/ to check for public posting of the server.

2. Server is on Fedora 4 linux - ISP is comcast (shhh!)

3. Using Q2Admin, R1Q2 and LFire 2.

4. Linksys router port forwarding enabled for 27900-27911

5. The problem also exists when running it on windows without any bells and whistles and WITHOUT THE ROUTER.

6. command line args +set game ctf +set dedicated 1 +set deathmatch 1 +exec server.cfg

7. Players ARE able to connect manually from the internet.

6. Current server.cfg settings:
set hostname "Harvey Miller's Tech Arts CTF"
set deathmatch 1
set public 1
setmaster satan.idsoftware.com:27900 master0.gamespy.com qmaster.planetquake.com 194.251.249.32 195.153.47.60 206.222.86.244 205.24
4.188.34:22999
set location "Denver"

I have studied this and other forums/web sites concerning this issue.  Applying the suggestions has not solved the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it possible to put your entry in the master server in an "ignore" state if you are constantly starting and stopping your server while you configure it? I am baffled. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GDHarvey
Bossman

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 07:12:17 pm »

Well you can try here for one and sign up.

http://www.gameaholic.com/servers/add/
GDHarvey

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 11:22:11 pm »

Thanks Bossman,

I signed up - we will see if that helps...

GDHarvey
deacon

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 10:22:38 am »

4. Linksys router port forwarding enabled for 27900-27911

This is the setmaster we've been using and its working well:
Code:
setmaster satan.idsoftware.com q2master.planetquake.com www.telefragged.com master.gamespy.com www.gameaholic.com masterserver.exhale.de

Also for better security you could tighten up the port forwards by only allowing tcp/udp port 27910 (If you are running on the default port)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 10:27:15 am by deacon » Logged
Lemonzest

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 10:38:58 am »

i use this for my server

setmaster gameaholic.com q2master.planetquake.com satan.idsoftware.com telefragged.com

and with Public set to 1, after it sends the heartbeat i'm in ASE

one handy thing to put in a config is "tray on" and then it minimizes to the windows tray.

Question, why the monkey face?
GDHarvey

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 05:24:27 pm »

Ok,

Woke up today and it was working.  So it was probably either manually adding it to gameholic or WORM. adding it manually to ASE.  I will tighten up the security as suggested.  I didnt change the setmaster command but added it (commented out) to my server.cfg in case something happens.  I appreciate the feedback on this topic - it was becoming very irritating not getting it to work.  Thanks again.

GDHarvey
X7

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 09:47:43 am »

Here is some Q2 Mod only setmaster
also returens a Ping acknowledge.

LOX MOD
-------------------------------------------------
setmaster dionysos.dnsalias.org

Sending heartbeat to 71.246.58.56:27900
Packet 71.246.58.56:27900 : ack
------------------------------------------------

GLOOM MOD
setmaster master.planetgloom.com

Sending heartbeat to 65.98.42.2:27900
Ping acknowledge from 65.98.42.2:27900

X7  smiley
jaquio
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 02:42:12 pm »

i also tried to put up a lithium ctf server and followed everything in this post. i have the same configuration as Hervey's as i in have a linksys router. i opened the same ports but it still dont show up. i copied and pasted a few of the master server's and stil nothing. i can connect to my own server and someone else connected before  but  i think he was a gameaholic admin to check the server. since then nobody had joined. i can see the server on my ase if i add it manually. it won't automatically pickup and i don't know if by adding it manually to ase it will show on other peoples browsers. any advice?
jaquio
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 02:43:18 pm »

71.190.95.219 server ip
Harvey
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 11:11:01 pm »

Jaq,

My server is offline for a few days but when i get time I will grab the current, working master server info for you.  You may need to remind me unfortunately as my server is not high priority right now.

Also fyi, it seemed to me that the master servers just started accepting me one day.  I think it is one of the following:
1.  When you are changing stuff in your config frequently like you do when you start learning how to setup a server - it seems you can put the master server in a strange "state" and it takes some unknown period of time before it recovers.  Heck it could be a cycling (restart the process) that does it.
2.  You have to consistently respond to pings for some period (days? weeks?)

So if I were you I would not fool with it and leave it up.  Check back in here for updates and let us know what works for you.

Harvey
jaquio
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 02:17:12 pm »

i think your righ tbecause like last year i tried to set up a server and left it up quite a while and i seen it in the server. i always thought maybe it was something with the router firewall that people could tosee the server so i kept trying  settings to see if it would work.  unfortunately  i can't leave the server up 24/7 and only wanted to make it public  for about 12 hours. i nthe past i ran a counterstrike 1.5 server and it ran well behind the firewall so i didn't understand  why it would'nt show.  thx for responding i hope people wil come and try the lithium server. i hope it will add a new dimension to the game as well as the fun factor.
jaquio2
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 07:44:06 pm »

well after a hard drive wipe i'm back to try and set up the server again. although i'm havuign the same problem as before. i realzied i could'nt  see the server with upnp services on so i turned them off but  istill have t oadd the server manually in all seeing eye. when i try to connect externally i get a hung up sctreen saying connecting and a libcurl verison number but it doesn't connect.

i can connect from my internal ip through the server but not externally, so i'm thinking other people could see it if they add the ip but not join it?. it;s strange because i emailed miguel an admin here and say's my server is reachable (even though i had upnp on). before that i added the ip in all seeing eye and it did'nt show.  so i'm confused here i set 27910 in and out with udp and tcp and even opened up my dmz.  my ip has been chanbging everytime i tyr a new setting but i don't think it's router setting anymore since i can see the server in my browser. maybe an internet setting.? i turned the firewall off.  i have a lynksys befsr41 router and it's not a static ip mode.
jaquio2
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 11:15:18 pm »

ok well the server is responding . i submitted it to gametracker and it say's it's active. also i had someone connect to it fine they said. i confirmed this in the console. now i just don't know why the server does'nt show in the ase gamelisting?. are the master server's im using not promoted by all seeign eye? i'm gonna check gamespy to see if it shows up there .
QwazyWabbit

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 12:56:46 am »

ASE uses peers to populate the server lists. A user adding a server to his ASE list and making it public causes the ASE client to send it to the browser/pinger servers. Once the server is browsable by the masters it will be propagated to other clients. This process doesn't lend itself very well to temporary or dynamic IP game servers. Don't use the LAN side IP in your ASE, use the WAN IP and port and un-check the private checkbox for it and ASE should be able to pick it up. I am not sure how much commitment Yahoo has to ASE these days since the original developers got kicked off the project.

ASE doesn't use classic "master" servers the way GameSpy does.
jaquio2
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2007, 12:24:30 am »

thanx for the head's up
Pages: [1]
Print
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: Q2 Server Doesn't Showup in Master List
Jump to: