r1ch.net forums
* Home Help Search Login Register
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  Other Projects  |  Topic: nocheat like cellshading in r1gl
Pages: [1] 2  All
Print
Author Topic: nocheat like cellshading in r1gl  (Read 19304 times)
ipool

« on: January 29, 2005, 12:51:38 pm »

ncgl has a cool feature called "cellshading" making items and players have a "cartoon-like" outline (stroke effect in PS :]), i think it would be a good addition in r1gl as well.
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 01:15:06 pm »

Except such a feature could be considered a cheat in several mods.
ipool

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 01:44:25 pm »

i dont see how is that? isnt it possible to have custom skins for players and items in all mods? you could for instance have this outline in the models skin itself..
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 01:47:18 pm »

Take for example Gloom, www.planetgloom.com. Gameplay relies on stealth and darkness. If all the player models suddenly start having glowing edges it kind of turns into one huge cheat.
_DOA_MERLYN

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 02:26:30 pm »

^^^ that's cool as hell, lol...  evil

ipool

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2005, 03:56:21 pm »

hm, the edges arent supposed to be glowing with cellshading, but black. Are you sure this could be considered a cheat? After all, arent you able to use ncgl with r1q2 as well, and without any notice to other players - i think Smiley
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2005, 05:35:55 pm »

Just because NoCheat GL implements it doesn't mean it's right. Look at the Q2 Jumpmod .exe - it allows you to flip the map into fullbright mode at the flick of a switch. These things weren't intended as a cheat (I hope) but when used in certain circumstances easily become one.
ipool

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2005, 05:46:03 pm »

I still dont see where does cellshading fit into this cheat category :]
DZ

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2005, 09:28:40 pm »

If a mod is designed to incorporate stealthyness and have dark hiding places, then make a model more visible to see the players easier is considered an advantage and defeats the purpose.

In other words, if you make it to where you can see players easier in a mod where you aren't supose to be able to see them easier, it is considered a cheat. 
Weasel

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 12:22:37 am »

But how does a black outline make someone more visible in the dark?
insomniac
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 07:00:11 am »

Basically it makes them look more cartoon like. Doesn't make the players stand out at all. Gives the models a black edging, which is hard to see in dark areas anyway.
Bossman

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 07:23:56 am »

Ok then lets get this straight you want cellshading because it is dark and you can't see it? Gives models a black edge that you can't see so it should be put in cause its cool?Huh
juice
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2005, 12:06:31 am »

yeah they got you on this one, r1ch

no glowy edges and whatnot...if anything, it makes things harder just to look cooler

besides, couldn't you have it so that r1ded has cvars that disables any "fun" graphics nonsense you add to r1gl anyways?  or atleast make them with server admins in mind so that they could disable if they feel that its necessary...

though not in this case; cel shading's been unanimously perfectly fine.
kurgan dent
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 04:34:22 pm »

i think we should get something straight here: gl_celshading 1 in nocheat does not improve model visibility, all it does is give objects a black outline in certain places which sort gives the illusion of cell shading rendering (like in XIII the game). the only thing that it has in common with brightskins is that poeple who use one color brightskins like to use it becuse it makes the models look less crappy. If anyone thinks that cell shading can be considered a cheat in a stealth type gameplya, they should play XIII and think again.
starttimartti

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006, 08:22:14 am »

The only place where celshading doesn't give much of an advantage is where a black model is standing in front of a black background. When, say, a red model is standing in front of a red background it is much easier to see that model with a black outline, than it is without it.

So I'd say no to celshading in r1gl.
Pages: [1] 2  All
Print
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  Other Projects  |  Topic: nocheat like cellshading in r1gl
Jump to: