r1ch.net forums
* Home Help Search Login Register
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: Slingshot/bounceback with grapple.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Slingshot/bounceback with grapple.  (Read 4578 times)
Weasel

« on: December 13, 2004, 12:01:27 am »

Howdy R1CH I finally put my finger on what's going on.  When people are grappling using the laser grapple on my server they get a slingshot or bounceback effect.   What I mean is that they will set the grapple and then either not go anywhere for a split second and then shoot across, or they will set the grapple, begin to shoot across, and then bounceback to where they were and finally get pulled by the grapple.  Now this is only noticeable on their end, as other people watching it see them glide smoothly across the screen.

Any ideas what might be causing this?
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 12:09:48 am »

Are you absolutely sure this doesn't happen in b1918? This is very odd, I can't think of anything I've changed since that version to cause any behaviour like that.
Weasel

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 12:42:08 am »

Actually after I twisted arms, I found out that it happens in both.
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 01:12:30 am »

And are you absolutely sure this doesn't happen in normal Quake 2 server? See where I'm going here... ? Smiley. I think what you are describing is a side effect of how grappling hooks and such work in the Quake 2 engine - normal Q2 prediction would pull the client to the ground as a result of gravity, so grappling hooks temporarily send a "turn off prediction" message. However since by the time the client receives this, they are already part way through the grapple movement on the server, they will experience a slight prediction miss which may be the slingshot/bounceback you are experiencing.
Weasel

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 01:44:14 am »

It didn't happen on the regular one.  It has only been noticed since we switched to r1q2  from q2ded 3.21.
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 02:01:41 am »

Are you able to do blind tests to confirm it doesn't happen with regular Q2? There's only one thing I can possibly think of that is causing this. Pop onto IRC some time and I'll give you a bunch of test binaries to try if you don't mind.
Weasel

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 03:02:57 am »

You can close this issue, as it wasn't one.  Our server was experiencing some hiccups but has since smoothed out.  I think it was network related and not binary related.

Thanks
Pages: [1]
Print
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: Slingshot/bounceback with grapple.
Jump to: