r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: Event / scripting system
Poll
Question: Cheat or not?
No it's fine - 27 (81.8%)
Yes it would be cheating - 6 (18.2%)
Total Voters: 33

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Print
Author Topic: Event / scripting system  (Read 21829 times)
Jay Dolan
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2006, 12:58:44 pm »

I can't believe I'm in agreement with WORM on this.

For auto-demo recording to be done reliably, it should be initiated by the server game.  Servers print a message like "Type autorecord to enable match demo recording," and modifies a value in the player's state if and when the client elects to do so.  On match start/end, the server should stuff record/stop commands to participating clients.  This would require about 1/10th the work, and would not impose any processing on the client.

Don't tourney mods already have chat expansion for weapon, location, and player status macros?
Lemonzest

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 12:41:58 pm »

is this still in the works???
mars

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2007, 08:00:08 am »

As a server admin I agree with Gen WORM and nash[EoM] - The client is already immensly configurable I really don't think it needs extending.
mars   
juM8o

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2007, 05:47:15 am »

R1ch please, make it!
Gen

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2007, 08:06:30 pm »

I'm Not a worm

:p
WORM.

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2007, 10:27:20 am »

Thank doG for that!
what
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2007, 10:48:02 pm »

The client is fine as is; compact, secure and fast. If players can not make their own binds and initate actions themselves maybe they need to watch TV instead.

Keep a core client without the crutches, there are other clients out with the cheaty automatic command executions.

crutches?  it enables you to do things you weren't able to do.  i don't understand how this would make a "compact secure fast" client not be so anymore.

this is a great idea
pot-shot

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2007, 12:12:20 pm »

I have been waiting to see if r1ch would implement this, but it appears it is not in the works.  I would be more hesistant to want this implemented in r1q2 if it weren't already implemented to a degree in other clients.   I feel that there are more positives then negatives with an event scripting system.  But I am only coming from the perspective of an action quake2 player and server admin, I may be missing something in the bigger picture.  Until then I'm for this if it could ever happen.
Max E.
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2010, 06:05:47 am »

Terribly, terribly sorry for bumping an old thread like this-- but if anyone is interested in this feature, I implemented a similar thing for the Q2-based Alien Arena some time ago and I realized it would be relevant.

Implementation:
http://meliaserlow.dyndns.tv:8000/alienarena/lua_source/qcommon/event.c
http://meliaserlow.dyndns.tv:8000/alienarena/lua_source/qcommon/event.h

Console commands for controlling it are here:
http://meliaserlow.dyndns.tv:8000/alienarena/lua_source/qcommon/cmd.c
You will find them after the Lua and job-related commands.

This should probably be trivial to port back to another Q2 engine like R1.
ingen
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 06:20:04 pm »

That looks awesome, but i believe that would never finish in classic quake2 server binary.

:/
Pages: 1 [2]  All
Print
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: Event / scripting system
Jump to: