r1ch.net forums
* Home Help Search Login Register
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  Other Projects  |  Topic: Wftrace issues
Pages: [1] 2  All
Print
Author Topic: Wftrace issues  (Read 29688 times)
Rob
« on: June 24, 2010, 03:56:59 am »

Hey,

I don't know where else to post questions about wftrace or how to contact the author of this wonderful program so hopefully someone finds this.

Beginning recently (maybe after a windows update) wftrace.exe has stopped working on about 5 or 6 different machines of mine. All are running windows 7 64bit.

Upon launching wftrace (regardless of compatibility settings or 'run as admin') it will crash with the following error:

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more details."

I've been doing a fair bit of research and the only real thing I can come up with is the C++ runtime has stopped working for some reason, all at the same time on different machines.

Is their anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks for ANY help regarding this, I really would like to continue to able to use this awesome program.
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 11:25:21 am »

Try installing the 32 bit (x86) Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables for 2008 and 2008 SP1

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en
Rob
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 08:13:30 pm »

Thanks for the reply, I had them both installed already but I went and downloaded them both again and ran the "Repair" option.

Still the same issue. I have also confirmed another user that is not attached to my network/setup is also experiencing the same issue in Windows 7 64bit.

This is a fully patched up to date installation.

Could a recent update have changed something to break your program?

Thanks.
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 08:32:31 pm »

Please give this version a try.

* wftrace.7z (8.74 KB - downloaded 481 times.)
Rob
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 01:56:39 am »

Thanks for that, but no go.

Same error as before. I've included a screenshot just for reference.

http://img.whirltools.com/i/71243802992301605237.png
jack
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 10:26:10 pm »

I have the same problem.   Here are portions of the results from sxstrace.  It seems to be looking for a debug version, not release.  The build numbers don't match SP1 9.0.21022.8 vs 9.00.30729.1
I have an older build of wftrace based on VC7 and this version still runs under Win7 x64 but not real smooth. Had to kill process a few times and some gui problems.

Code:
Begin Activation Context Generation.
Input Parameter:
Flags = 0
ProcessorArchitecture = AMD64
CultureFallBacks = en-US;en
ManifestPath = C:\Programs No Installer\FTrace\wftrace(1).exe
AssemblyDirectory = C:\Programs No Installer\FTrace\
Application Config File =
-----------------
INFO: Parsing Manifest File C:\Programs No Installer\FTrace\wftrace(1).exe.
INFO: Manifest Definition Identity is (null).
INFO: Reference: Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8"
INFO: Reference: Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8"
INFO: Resolving reference Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8".
INFO: Resolving reference for ProcessorArchitecture x86.
INFO: Resolving reference for culture Neutral.
INFO: Applying Binding Policy.
INFO: No publisher policy found.
INFO: No binding policy redirect found.
INFO: Begin assembly probing.
INFO: Did not find the assembly in WinSxS.
INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT\9.0.21022.8__1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b\Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT.DLL.
INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Programs No Installer\FTrace\Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT.DLL.
INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Programs No Installer\FTrace\Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT.MANIFEST.
INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Programs No Installer\FTrace\Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT\Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT.DLL.
INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Programs No Installer\FTrace\Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT\Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT.MANIFEST.
INFO: Did not find manifest for culture Neutral.
INFO: End assembly probing.
ERROR: Cannot resolve reference Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8".
ERROR: Activation Context generation failed.
End Activation Context Generation.
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 11:36:36 pm »

Thanks, I'll look into it when I get back home (week or two).
Rob
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 03:08:07 pm »

Thank god I'm not the only one! This app is so unbelievable useful in my line of work and would really like to get it working again (even after all this time Smiley )

It used to work on Win7 x64 then it must be an update that rendered not working for whatever reason. (Maybe forcing debug versions to not work at all?)

Anyway, would love to see this program working again one day.

Thanks for all your hard work r!ch.
Rob
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 03:08:50 pm »

That was meant to be R1ch Smiley
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 10:28:45 pm »

Last attempt... I see no debug reference at all, so hopefully it works!

* wftrace.7z (8.75 KB - downloaded 458 times.)
jack
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 06:16:12 pm »

Still getting error Side by Side Sad
Here is a ref to Debug that I am seeing.   In the resources of the PE headers - manifest -  maybe the project properties is still in debug or the debug is selected in the manifest of release.  Hope that helps.  Thanks - jack

Code:
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
  <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
    <security>
      <requestedPrivileges>
        <requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker" uiAccess="false"></requestedExecutionLevel>
      </requestedPrivileges>
    </security>
  </trustInfo>
  <dependency>
    <dependentAssembly>
      <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT" version="9.0.21022.8" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"></assemblyIdentity>
    </dependentAssembly>
  </dependency>
  <dependency>
    <dependentAssembly>
      <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.VC90.CRT" version="9.0.21022.8" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"></assemblyIdentity>
    </dependentAssembly>
  </dependency>
</assembly>
jack
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 06:22:02 pm »

Bingo  - I stripped the ref to debug in the PE header and it's running. 
Here is the manifest I replaced it with.   
Code:
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
  <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
    <security>
      <requestedPrivileges>
        <requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker" uiAccess="false"></requestedExecutionLevel>
      </requestedPrivileges>
    </security>
  </trustInfo>
   <dependency>
    <dependentAssembly>
      <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.VC90.CRT" version="9.0.21022.8" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"></assemblyIdentity>
    </dependentAssembly>
  </dependency>
</assembly>
jack
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 07:21:54 pm »

Just posting it for a reference. Here is the file with the removed ref, put in the needed MFC lib file in there also.  Anyone who grabs the SP update for MFC will get a newer version than what is being looked for.   PE Header, resource section of the PE is what I was referring to in the post above.  Used a PE Editor to modify it...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/deaa0e

Should be an easy fix to compile it without the debug resource reference - here is delete link for the above file.

http://www.sendspace.com/delete/deaa0e/9beaad07550fd66c46613defd4e4cef5

Thanks for keeping it updated. 
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 11:47:35 pm »

I have no idea where it's pulling that debug reference from, nothing is set to debug mode Sad.
jack
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 12:47:10 am »

I have no idea where it's pulling that debug reference from, nothing is set to debug mode Sad.
I would think it's in the resources of the project.  In the solution explorer where all the resource files are, maybe an xml file.  In the project filename.exe properties there is a place to change the config for manifest tool for Debug and Release in pull down menu.   Release\newfile.exe.embed.manifest.res is what is shown for release.  Debug almost the same just change the folder name but they both point to the manifest.res   
MFC C++ coding not really my thing but I was looking at the project settings in Visual Studio and that's where I found those settings.   I'll see if I can duplicate it in one of those simple notepad projects later this week.   
Pages: [1] 2  All
Print
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  Other Projects  |  Topic: Wftrace issues
Jump to: