r1ch.net forums
* Home Help Search Login Register
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  Anticheat  |  Topic: university firewall + r1 +ports?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: university firewall + r1 +ports?  (Read 7457 times)
mysti
« on: November 26, 2007, 06:23:54 pm »

Been reading alot here now, and from what i understand  this is not a port problem.... but anyways here is my problem:

I'm behind a friggin`university firewall and they have finally opened up some ports for quake2, and 3. However i cannot connect to any servers using R1. But with my original quake2.exe i can connect to the servers  (but of course all servers kick me out as soon as i connect to them since i have no anticheat then).

with R1, it just says "connecting to xx.xx.xx.x....." what ports should i ask the university to open? Or what could be the problem.

R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 06:33:56 pm »

R1Q2 uses the same ports as regular Quake 2, although regular Q2 uses a fixed source port of 27901 whereas R1Q2 is random. Unless they have a very broken NAT setup, you should not need them to open any ports in order to play. This sounds like perhaps r1q2.exe is not allowed through a firewall on the local PC. In any case, for connections to work, this needs to be allowed:

UDP (any) -> UDP 27910
TCP (any) -> TCP 27910

Of course this will still give you problems on the servers that use non-standard ports. Really, with a proper firewall setup, they shouldn't need to open ports to let you access servers unless they are explicitly blocking them for a reason.
mysti
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 05:07:41 am »

Thank you for the fast reply R1ch! R1q2.exe is not blocked by any firewall in my PC. I`have tried it at a friends house and it works like a charm.

Then there is probably some other stuff the university have blocked... they are nazis on the blocking part. "trying to" prevent leeching and stuff. But all they ever managed was to block all games. all p2p, irc, torrents and ftp works like a wet dream.

So it is very possible that they have blocked something important... I got the feeling they have no idea of what they were doing to they just went bananas on the port blocking :/

It has been a long and tedious fight to get them to open just some of the game ports.
QwazyWabbit

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 10:18:01 am »

I know R1q2 uses both TCP and UDP to talk to the game server but I didn't think the TCP connection mattered on initial connect or maintaining it. If the university firewall accommodates UDP 27910 outbound then they might easily allow TCP 27910. University firewalls are more restrictive than NAT or SOHO router firewalls in that they usually don't allow promiscuous outbound connections to not well-known ports. Commercial firewalls are usually locked-down out of the box and the admins have to open the ones they want by policy, so its not a case of port blocking but port-allowing. Smiley
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 01:12:30 pm »

Q2 doesn't use any TCP at all by default. TCP is only used by the anticheat.
Pages: [1]
Print
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  Anticheat  |  Topic: university firewall + r1 +ports?
Jump to: