r1ch.net forums
* Home Help Search Login Register
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  Other Projects  |  Topic: [ForceBindIp] Don't work with a user account
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [ForceBindIp] Don't work with a user account  (Read 20110 times)
alavoler

« on: February 12, 2010, 01:42:41 pm »

Hello,

Firstly, I want to thank the ForceBindIP developer, I think this functionality should be integrated into the OS, unfortunately, Windows does not support it. Thank you for this wonderful program!

I noted with regret that ForceBindIp doesn’t work from a user account.
I tested the handling from Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with Firefox 3.6, since the Administrator account redirection works, but under the user account the same command doesn’t work (however no error).

I use OpenVPN 2.1.1, start under Administrator account.

I take this message to ask:
- The sources ForceBinIp can be published?

Have good day!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 03:49:13 pm by alavoler » Logged
mhanor

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 05:28:33 pm »

why do you need forcebindip with openvpn? there is an option for binding to an ip address, "--local host_name"
or maybe i'm getting it wrong
alavoler

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 04:55:38 am »

Hi mhanor,

I need to have a software logic.
Typically, I use Firefox as the default interface of my provider, while for uTorrent I want goes through the VPN interface Smiley

That's why I need to use ForceBindIP!

By default, Windows automatically redirected to the VPN interface, it suits me! Contrariwise, I would have a "white list" of applications that passes directly to my provider.

Bye
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 05:00:13 am by alavoler » Logged
mhanor

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 05:24:52 am »

try setting a higher tcp/ip metric for the vpn connection, higher than the provider interface's tcp/ip metric
the default interface should be the provider's interface, so you can use your browser without forcebindip
then use utorrent's advanced options to bind it to the vpn connection
alavoler

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 10:24:01 am »

By default, I want everything goes through the VPN (this is already the case), only a list that explicitly authorize must go through my provider. That's why ForceBindIP is handy!

Most applications have no logical network interface (I don't think that utorrent can choose the interface ... more uTorrent was one of many examples). By default the application call 0.0.0.0 which is a logical interface, the OS itself then provides the interface that it considers best. I believe it is the OS to have this intelligence and not the application!

If I take the case of Firefox, which is yet an application of advanced and specialized web, it can only specify a proxy ... no interface!

To date, the most elegant solution is to install OpenVPN on my router, and redirect traffic based on port ... it will block the P2P traffic to the provider and redirect it to the VPN. Too bad that the OS does not support this feature!
mhanor

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 01:17:46 pm »

I have tested it by running it as standard user and it works as it should, using w7 x64 and firefox
maybe you're not using the latest forcebindip version
alavoler

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 05:13:13 am »

mhanor

Thank you for testing!

It's strange, but I tested several times over 2 install Win7/64/Ultimate ...
I always find that for the Admin it works, while for the simple user it never works ...

I Use:
Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate
ForceBindIP-1.2a
Firefox 3.6
OpenVPN 2.1.1

Is there a way to debug an application, see the system calls that fail ?
The same style as the command "strace" on Linux
- EDIT- DebugView utility from www.sysinternals.com  ?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 07:52:48 am by alavoler » Logged
QwazyWabbit

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 12:26:01 pm »

DebugView will only show output from debug builds of programs that use the OutputDebugString function. If the program is a release build or if it doesn't use the debug print functions you won't get anything.
alavoler

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 11:21:34 am »

mhanor
Have you tested with a TAP interface / OpenVPN?

Perhaps the default configuration of OpenVPN was too aggressive rule requiring users to use the TAP interface ...

Because I reproduce the problem consistently ...
WORM.

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 11:40:06 am »

It's strange, but I tested several times over 2 install Win7/64/Ultimate ...
I always find that for the Admin it works, while for the simple user it never works ...

Then you have proved that it does work...seems to be a permissions issue. Open UAC and check permissions for the user account.
FastTurtle

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 02:18:29 am »

Hi all of you,

I have tried to use it in a TSE environement and it diesn't work, message reported is:

Don't find binIP.dll in c:\users\administator\windows......

In fact it looks in the wrong directory instead of the main one (c:\windows)
Pages: [1]
Print
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  Other Projects  |  Topic: [ForceBindIp] Don't work with a user account
Jump to: