r1ch.net forums
* Home Help Search Login Register
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: Server admins: Report by default to a master?
Poll
Question: Do you like the auto master reporting idea?
Yes!
No!

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Print
Author Topic: Server admins: Report by default to a master?  (Read 23175 times)
R1CH
Administrator

« on: August 31, 2007, 09:20:56 pm »

Hey all,
One problem I often hear from people is they can't find good Q2 servers. I'm sure they are out there, but there are hundreds of different server lists - different server browser apps, each with their own ways of finding servers, etc. The original quake2.exe and earlier versions of R1Q2 auto-reported to the id software master server, which made a list of all Q2 servers easily available if you knew how to query it.

Since the id master is long since dead, I'm thinking of replicating that functionality within R1Q2 - report to a master server run by me and have a web page list servers by mod / country / etc. I would like to make it so that R1Q2 servers report by default so that public servers get listed rather than relying on admin intervention as this will ensure the highest number of servers listed with minimum amount of fuss. Now before you all go screaming "omg spyware etc", I figured I'd make this poll to see what you think of this idea Smiley. If you don't think this is a good idea, please post why as I would like to hear both sides of any discussion.
QwazyWabbit

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 11:20:38 pm »

I have finished modifying your original gloom master server and I have a working q2 master server that compiles in Windows and Linux and can run as Linux daemon or Windows service. Our clan was going to run a global server but this was abandoned. I will publish the code and project if there is enough interest.

I think a default master is probably a dead idea, but just being able to specify masters and have a dependable master somewhere would be nice to have.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 11:25:04 pm by QwazyWabbit » Logged
WORM.

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 03:38:57 pm »

I think it is a great idea...just have an "opt out" cvar for any that wish to remain anonymous for whatever reason.
WHO

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 03:46:01 pm »

I 2nd the Wabbits motion - a dependable master would be excellent
Snake

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 06:16:07 am »

Sounds cool, report by default to r1master if "set public 1"?
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 11:11:13 am »

Yup, with something like sv_no_global_master or something to disable it.
QwazyWabbit

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 02:31:34 pm »

Source and binaries for Q2master based on code from r1ch's Gloom master is available.
http://www.windowmeister.com/lox/q2master.zip (about 71kB)

This includes source project (VC++ 6.0) for Windows and Linux. Works on OS/X too!

See readme.txt and source code for usage details.

Installs as Windows Service so it starts with the machine or as a Linux/BSD daemon. Debugging mode supported as a console application. Could be modified to support other idSoftware based game engines (Q3, Q4?).

Report bugs, suggestions, changes to me here in PM's or at windowmeister@hotmail.com

QW
mars

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 07:02:23 am »

I have been running a QW master server for  a long time and it was always my intention to run a Q2 master server also. If this is not limited to just the one single master server I would be more than happy to run one also - for added redundancy and resiliency.

QwazyWabbit

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 07:02:05 am »

Personally, I feel if there are more master servers and they are well-known and widely used (Like 4 to 6 masters) it would benefit the community. It always disturbed me that 400 servers would disappear from the lists every time the id master server went down. Keeping a few masters alive will make it easier to ensure that at least one of them was up and available. I don't think there should be reliance on just one default server since that is just a repetition of what happened with the idSoftware server. They can still afford to keep that server going, they simply stopped supporting it. If we could establish 3 to 6 masters and get everyone using at least half of them then we wouldn't have those big drop outs when one of them went down.
WizOz

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 11:12:13 am »

I could support a master server as well. At least I have the resources to do it im sure.  grin

R1CH your forums dont support gifs do they? My avatar is a gif and its not working  cheesy Sorry a little off subject!!!!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 11:15:03 am by WizOz » Logged
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 06:27:52 am »

I've got the backend setup, and would like some more testing. Do setmaster 74.86.155.169 to report to the new master if you want to help out.
mars

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 07:22:51 am »

I have added setmaster 74.86.155.169 to my server.cfg for Mars Quake II L-Fire CTF Server on 212.13.201.59:27920 and restarted it. Anything else I can do?
bluffy
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 05:04:14 pm »

Sounds good to me... providing there's an option to disable it...

Can you get it to disable "sending heartbeat to blah.blah.blah.blah" as well ?
SkiesOfbordom

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 05:38:26 pm »

Cool, i like the idea.

*sets master server on my IWM server to this one *

@bluffy
this is something that i want as well. im not sure if there is such a thing. is there??
R1CH
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 02:33:38 am »

You can exclude that message using con_filterlevel or log_filterlevel.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Print
r1ch.net  |  r1ch.net stuff  |  R1Q2  |  Topic: Server admins: Report by default to a master?
Jump to: